Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Off Topic Threads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clarence Slydell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why are off topic threads permitted to stay where ever they are posted instead of being removed or at least moved to the Off Topic Forum (Tractor Tales)??

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Clarence, perhaps it will help if you think of YT as a coffee shop, or in my case the Firehouse. Conversations wander among friends.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We don't have the ability to move threads because of Classic View software being so old.

As far as the other question, that's a moderation issue so send Kim a message with your comment by using the Feedback Form in the left hand menu of the home page. We don't discuss moderation in the open public discussion any longer.

Clarence Slydell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:01:42 01/07/20)
Clarence, perhaps it will help if you think of YT as a coffee shop, or in my case the Firehouse. Conversations wander among friends.

Yes, conversations do wander. What starts out to be a conversation about John Deere tractors might evolve into talking about the truck someone used to haul a John Deere tractor and maybe lost the brakes while hauling the tractor home, that's not my point though.

What I'm talking about are threads about Uncle Bill's knee replacement, (not an actual thread, just an example), and the trouble he's having, etc, being posted in Tractor Talk instead of Off Topic.

Where is the logic? Why not simply post it in Off Topic?

Clarence Slydell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YTSupport wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:03:52 01/07/20)
We don't have the ability to move threads because of Classic View software being so old.

As far as the other question, that's a moderation issue so send Kim a message with your comment by using the Feedback Form in the left hand menu of the home page. We don't discuss moderation in the open public discussion any longer.

There is a cure for that. (The bolded)

I don't see a Feedback Form anywhere. I suppose that is in the jumble that is Classic View.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's really in the moderators view, we started the site, but she started the forums and has always viewed them both ways. But what Showcrop says is fairly accurate and somewhat matches the moderator's view. But for me to say that, I have to be speaking for her, and I can't really do that. To discuss moderation, you have to talk with the moderator. Beyond that, moderation discussions don't work in public forum because they have become arguments before.

Clarence Slydell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YTSupport wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:16:48 01/07/20) It's really in the moderators view, we started the site, but she started the forums and has always viewed them both ways. But what Showcrop says is fairly accurate and somewhat matches the moderator's view. But for me to say that, I have to be speaking for her, and I can't really do that. To discuss moderation, you have to talk with the moderator. Beyond that, moderation discussions don't work in public forum because they have become arguments before.

Okay. Walking away now while shaking my head.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Clarence Slydell wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:52:00

Maybe after you've been a member of this forum as long as some of the members have been then the OT topics will seem normal. :wink:

Clarence Slydell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:46:08 01/08/20)
Clarence Slydell wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:52:00

Maybe after you've been a member of this forum as long as some of the members have been then the OT topics will seem normal. :wink:

You know, there are an awful lot of people on these forums who are very quick to criticize things that they don't like but if someone criticizes something that they like it's a different story then.

So, tell me, why is posting off topic subjects in the off topic forum such a struggle for many here?

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Clarence
If you'll notice I never stated I liked or disliked OT posts BUT I stated that OT posts after a few yrs of viewing would seem normal for this discussion forum.
Jim

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think Dave Mi put it best about the OT forum,a little bit clannish on there. In my own words,the same small group talking among themselves and they'll either ignore you or jump on you if you post there and don't do it fifteen times a day.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Off Topic Threads Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That seems like a more basic issue. I was going to stay away from the topic since it is a moderation issue, but the reason people post OT in on-topic forums is because they develop their friendships there and naturally feel like a stranger in the OT forum or even in any other forums (note that some people talk OT in Tool Talk and others in Tractor Talk). The Tales is just another forum with people who frequent it, and thus is a different group of friends that don't talk much about tractors. I don't think that was the intention, because it was supposed to get the arguments and OT out of the tractor and farm topic forums, but it just happens because friendships naturally form.

This is a worthwhile topic to discuss with the moderator, but the solutions aren't easy, nor absolutely necessary. We are discussing human nature and social interaction. Now I'm trying not to speak for the moderator, but her vision has always been that people should be able to develop those friendships in the on-topic forums to some extent, and that does mean you'll end up with discussions of an illness or something like that. The fact is, the people in an on-topic forum may be the only ones that care when a prominent poster in that forum takes sick or has some bothersome thing occur in their life they need to talk about. The moderation allows for that.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters