Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Fordson dexta help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
226kevin
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Fordson dexta help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need help I have 1959 dexta diesel. The problem is that it won t move in gear but he PTO shaft will turn on would the clutch be bad or is something wrong in the transmission

Majorman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson dexta help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check that you have about 1" free play in the clutch pedal. The
clutch may be bad but it would still turn the PTO if it had no
load on it.

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson dexta help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is it single or double clutch??

226kevin
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson dexta help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-derwen1959"](quoted from post at 08:38:00 01/06/20) Is it single or double clutch??[/quote

I don t know I just got it is there a way to tell with out splitting the tractor? There is not any adjustment left in the clutch linkage

226kevin
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson dexta help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have also took the shifter plate of and nothing turns when it running even if you put it in gear

Majorman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson dexta help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The easiest way to see if you have a "Live" clutch is to look at
the clevis where it goes into the clutch housing. If it has one
hole, not a "Live" clutch, two holes = "Live " clutch.

If nothing turns in the gearbox then suspect clutch. They are
not too bad a job to split with jacks and blocks as long as you
take your time and jam the front axle with wedges to stop it
flopping from side to side.

226kevin
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson dexta help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it has the two holes. Does that mean that it has a double clutch?

226kevin
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson dexta help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for all your help it s the first fordson I have had and don t know a lot about them. Where is a good place to find parts for them any help there would be greatly appreciated

Majorman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson dexta help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it is a "Live" (Double) clutch. It will come as a complete
assembly, usually, you will also need pilot and thrust
bearings. Watch the thrust bearing as the original was a double
row of ball bearings and the replacement is a single row. This
makes the bearing much thinner and the operating levers on the
clutch will foul on the bearing carrier. I made a spacer to go
behind the bearing and bring it forward to the correct position
on mine.

Clutches are available here in England but should also be
available in the US. You can also put new plates in but I have
found this to be false economy as the linkage will be worn and
you have to have the proper tools to rebuild and set it up.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters