Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JIBBEN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking at picking up a older gleaner combine and would like to reach-out to you all and ask if it is possible to re-galvanize, galvanized metal on a gleaner combine. The sheet metal is faded over the years and I have always wanted to see what the combine looked like when it was first new.

I have been looking at Rust-Oleum Bright galvanized paint. It said on the can that you can just spray it right on top of the old stuff as long as there is no rust. There are two kinds, one is called Cold Galvanized Compound, and the other is called Bright Galvanized Compound. I am wondering what is the difference between the Cold and the Bright. what is going to give me the most original color.

HenryO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have little knowledge of the lasting power but there is a product called GALVANOLEOM THAT CAN BE USED OVER RUST ETC. to good effect.

isaacjibben
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where can a guy get this GALVANOLEOM? Sounds perfect!

moeszyslak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your talking about Zinc paint. The bright will be more silver, and the other more flat. This will not match a galvanized panel because you will not get that pattern of galvanized metal. You will in the end get a panel with chalky grey paint.

isaacjibben
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am willing to lose the pattern in order to get the brightness and color back. If there is no way of restoring the original Galvanization of its bright color then what do I need to do without taking the hole combine apart to get back the Brightness and color?

David.DeHart
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used cold galvanizing paint. I believe it was a Rustoleum product. It will come out as a flat medium gray, looks nothing like galvanized tin. It does however work great on touching up hot dipped galvanized boat trailers and anything else you want to keep from rusting. It will not match original galvanized materials though. I would think a semi gloss metallic silver paint might be your closest match. At least it would look silver and have a slight shine from a distance. By the way Gleaners had a disparaging nickname the "Silver Re-seeder". Don't know if its true, but it is funny.

isaacjibben
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

David.DeHart wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:18:13 01/14/20) I have used cold galvanizing paint. I believe it was a Rustoleum product. It will come out as a flat medium gray, looks nothing like galvanized tin. It does however work great on touching up hot dipped galvanized boat trailers and anything else you want to keep from rusting. It will not match original galvanized materials though. I would think a semi gloss metallic silver paint might be your closest match. At least it would look silver and have a slight shine from a distance. By the way Gleaners had a disparaging nickname the "Silver Re-seeder". Don't know if its true, but it is funny.

Thanks for the help! The "Silver Seeder" is a very well known quote from the early 80s when Gleaner was switching over from conventional combines to Rotary combines. they specked out the old conventional M's till grain started coming out the back, using too large of heads for the narrow threshing design it was. It took awhile till Gleaner was able to get all the bugs out of the rotary like all the other combine manufacturers, but when they did the bad name of the conventional's stuck with the rotary unfortunately.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Isaac, gleamers were called "silver seeders" DECADES before the era you mention.

IowaJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Around here they're known as silver
pheasant feeders.

MattLF9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CLR cleaner brings the shine back, but if
you use too much, it will remove the zinc.

isaacjibben
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bob wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:28:53 01/14/20) Isaac, gleamers were called "silver seeders" DECADES before the era you mention.

Well the First Gleaner was built in a garage, so. lol

isaacjibben
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lol, maybe that is what the Baldwin Brothers wanted when they built the first one's in there Garage!

isaacjibben
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank-you! How much is to much would you say? I don't want to mess up a 83 year old machine.

Farmer Rock
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you are just trying to shine it up,i imagine you could oil base then clear coat it

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Can a Gleaner Be Re-galvanized? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mexi-chrome

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters