Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 3000

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sawguy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 3000 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just purchased the above piece of equipment. It has aFord 3000 gas engine. Believe the fork lift number is Warner swasey 1600. Need to change all fluids and don t know what type I should be using. Really need a Service manual. Hydraulics work great but the reservoir is milky colored so I know it s got water coming from somewhere. Have no experience on these and could use some advise.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to the Ford board.
Is the entire engine and chassis from a
3000?
If so you could use the I&T FO-31 manual
for most things. That manual will at
least have valve settings, tune up info
and or overhaul stuff on the engine.
Click the link below.
Most of us here with ag derivitives of
that machine use a generic HyTrans or
UTF (universal tractor fluid). Look on
the label and make sure it says meets or
exceeds Ford 134D specs. It is good for
your gears - transmission, rear end and
for your hydraulics.
For the engine I'd say most of us use a
generic version of a 15W40 diesel rated
oil similar to Delo or Rotella - even on
our gassers.
Click for FO 31 manual

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Usually the water that is getting in is coming in as a vapor and then condensing. In a tractor or any piece of equipment it is rarely noticeable because as soon as it is used again the heat drives the moisture out again. When equipment gets old and is used less the the moisture can be drained out the bottom unless modern hydraulic oil is used. The additives in modern hydraulic oils combine with the water and holds it suspended.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Usually the water that is getting in is coming in as a vapor and then condensing. In a tractor or any piece of equipment it is rarely noticeable because as soon as it is used again the heat drives the moisture out again. When equipment gets old and is used less the the moisture can be drained out the bottom unless modern hydraulic oil is used. The additives in modern hydraulic oils combine with the water and holds it suspended.

Sawguy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Appreciate your reply. I ll check into the manual. Hopefully will give quantities of fluid too. Thanks

Sawguy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

. Do you feel like the water that s in the hydraulic fluid is a problem and needs to be changed out, or is this pretty normal? Thanks for the response.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sawguy wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:11:04 01/12/20) . Do you feel like the water that s in the hydraulic fluid is a problem and needs to be changed out, or is this pretty normal? Thanks for the response.

If you just purchased it and do not have a verifiable maintenance history then I recommend changing all fluids, engine oil, hydraulics, power steering if it has it, etc.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

But I'm curious...
Does the forklift use the entire 3000
chassis or just the engine?
If it uses the entire chassis we could
ID it for you - year built, optional
componants, etc,etc.
All that info is Hand Stamped onto a
flat spot on the bell housing just above
the starter.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sawguy wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:11:04 01/12/20) . Do you feel like the water that s in the hydraulic fluid is a problem and needs to be changed out, or is this pretty normal? Thanks for the response.

Sawguy, As I stated before it is normal for UTF to absorb moisture due to the additives. You are depending on that oil to lubricate a number of bearings. Water is not a good lubricant. If you decide to use the UTF instead of the oil that would have come with the tractor when it was new check it regularly for moisture because you won't know how fast it will absorb more moisture. If you use the machine hard enough and frequently enough as it would have been used when new, you have nothing to worry about.

Sawguy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can?t find any numbers by starter. On the side of block is C5NN6015, that?s how I found out it?s a Ford 3000. It?s 3 cylinders and gas. Below block number was PG232684M96. Also had 6L16. Going to try and send pic of forklift and some numbers on top of engine that were cast in.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure what PG232684M96 is, but 6L16 looks like a date code for November 16, 1966. If that is a raised casting number then that is the date that the block was cast. If it is stamped into the metal then it is the date that the engine was assembled.

The numbers on the head between the spark plug wires are just casting codes for the head itself.

Check Break
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

-Ultradog- But I'm curious... Does the forklift use the entire 3000
chassis or just the engine? If it uses the entire chassis we could
ID it for you - year built, optional componants, etc,etc. All that info is Hand Stamped onto a flat spot on the bell housing just above the starter.

It is a 3500 or 3550 UD. Cop suspension. Cop rear end. Not much different than my KD.

Drain and replace the fluids. As said, you have condensation in your hydraulic fluid and in the transmission and center housing if you take a look. The oil is probably 20 years old. Post up the numbers on the transmission housing above the starter for date of manufacture.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks.
Cop? I'm not familiar with that term.
From here it looks like a 4000 rear axle
and 8 on 8" lug pattern so maybe a 3550.

Check Break
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKmuKjpKPIo

Sawguy
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973-75(?) Warner Swasey rough terrain forklift Ford 300 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I m going to try and scrape some more paint and see if I can find more numbers so y all can try to help me out. That pg number on bottom half of engine was hand stamped but I couldn t get anywhere on internet. Give me a day or two and check back if you would. Thanks.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters