Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Electric power steering for my 8N

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:26 pm    Post subject: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a 2009 Toyota Prius power steering unit and module I adapted onto my 8N. The pictures show the Ford column tube cut off at the box and the inside of where the tube was machined out to fit a CR 8060 seal at this new location. After the Ford column shaft was cut off, leaving about an inch exposed, I welded up an adapter made from a piece of tube, to fit over the old shaft, welded to the end of a cut Toyota U joint connector from the Prius lower column extension.
Part of the 8N body support work had to be cut away to clear the power unit and I also had to heat up and pound out (rather than just cutting away) some of the instrument sheet metal to also clear the unit. The throttle linkage also had to be relocated about an extra inch to the right to clear. I welded up an adapter to bolt the power unit (using the Koyo mounting surface bolt holes) to the 8N body support that is normally bolted to the 8N steering box.
The final "challenge", as it were, was to figure out a way to attach an antique American steering wheel onto a Japanese column. The middle section of the Koyo column, where I had to shorten it to, has a serrated shaft of similar diameter to the Ford shaft albeit a much more coarse serration compared to the old Ford shaft. The wheel would not slide over the new column. I had to cut a section off the Koyo shaft to shorten the overall column so it would be the same height as the old one. I started thinking about the piece I removed and sharpened one end then used it as a broach tool by sticking it in the hydraulic press and forcing it through the steering wheel hub. It cut a new pattern into the old wheel. All I then had to do was tap the center hole in the column shaft to 7/16" threads to bolt the wheel on. Worked like a charm.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some random thoughts:
*I believe you will prematurely wear out your steering box with that unit.
*I personally see no reason to reinvent the wheel. Not when Ford built a power assist steering system just a few years later and installed it on a tractor that already had way more features than an N.
*My bet is that when that tractor gets sold (and they all get sold, eventually) that unit grafted on there will knock at least 1/3 off the value of the tractor.
*It's your tractor to do with as you choose.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing and nice job of grafting it in - some clever metal work. The others that have gone this route report it works really well with no problems to date and they love it. It's a major modification and not for the faint of heart but traditional PS has been a really expensive upgrade and with the low cost and steering improvement you get with these EPS units I expect to see more and more of them coming down the line ;-)

TOH

Tracy Brown
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like it. I have an 800 series I'm putting back together and thinking about doing something like this.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice job Njoy the EPS...

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Points taken. I don't quite understand the 'premature wear' thing. Example; if you're making sharp turns between trees your choices are a: turn the wheel harder to avoid the tree or b: hit the tree. The load on the box is the same (to miss the tree) just the input effort is not. Arthritis being what it is, I'm more concerned about wearing out my shoulders.
Unfortunately this is the tractor I have, not one with an already 'invented wheel'. For a total outlay of $150 whatever this tractor can't do I'll use one of my others.
You may be right on a loss of value at sale however I'll be dead by then and scientific studies have indicated that most dead people don't care that much about monetary gain or loss.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Makes you wonder if a power nailer weakens the nail..

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JF in MI wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:34:32 01/13/20)
The load on the box is the same (to miss the tree) just the input effort is less.

Exactly :idea:

TOH

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice work! Now you could put that loader back on it. LOL

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Royse wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:32:59 01/14/20) Nice work! Now you could put that loader back on it. LOL
Very impressive work!!!

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Poor analogy Hobo. Nail don't care.
Putting 150 psi to your air nailer is
more like it. Wears it out.
They like to run about 90 psi max.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"don't quite understand the 'premature wear' thing."

Ford never put the power assist Behind the sector gears. Only in front of them. There is a reason for that.

"You may be right on a loss of value at sale however I'll be dead by then and scientific studies have indicated that most dead people don't care that much about monetary gain or loss."

I do hope both you and your PS last a long time. And in the end, Ns are cheap anyway so 1/3 of not much is well, not much.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Ultradog MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:09:43 01/14/20) Poor analogy Hobo. Nail don't care.
Putting 150 psi to your air nailer is
more like it. Wears it out.
They like to run about 90 psi max.
]

An absolutely horrible analogy that continues to misstate the physics that everyone else has by now grasped:

The power (torque) input to the gearbox to turn the road wheels is the same with EPS as it is without it.

TOH

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As you wish.
Inputting more torque or pressure than a
machine is designed for is not a
prescription for longevity.
As for the topic at hand - inputing the
power assist behind the sector gears - I
shall continue to advise against doing
it and you will probably continue to say
it is a great idea.
And never the twain shall meet.

JF in MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Electric power steering for my 8N Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That belongs to you now.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters