Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Another Turnpike film.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:39 am    Post subject: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This popped up and shows all of the tunnels as single bore and the two that are
no longer used. 1953. All of the tunnels now are twins. Love the blue
Studebaker.
Tunnels

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was great, and a very interesting topic. Obviously when my wife and I traveled the turn pike in 2016, we didn?t take those single lane tunnels, as they were already abandoned. We felt traveling the Penn. Turn Pike was a fantastic adventure. And the tolls were so inexpensive. Thanks for sharing these YouTube links. Bruce

larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really enjoyed that! thanks!!

DRussell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is an adventure traveling the PA Turnpike, and the tunnels are nice to see and drive through.

Not sure if you mean the inexpensive tolls comment as tongue in cheek or not. Tolls go up about 5% every year for 12 years in a row now and that is expected to continue every year for the foreseeable future.

whereswaldo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In 1960 we went East to my Grandma's place in Camden, New Jersey. ALL the tunnels were single lane and dark and fumy. No air conditioning so windows were closed and it was suffocating. Howard Johnson had service 'plazas' and they made the most of their captive drivers with the highest priced food and fuel on our entire trip. I was 12 years old and that scenery was beautiful but those mountain tunnels were the worst part of trip.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That really made a trip on that road a fun adventure. It was very cool riding through the tunnels.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ahhhh yes...You actually were "Served" at Howard Johnson. That is where my friends mom introduced me to fryed clams with French fries and coleslaw. Boy that was good. Now it is fastfood only. The service plaza always have higher prices but in NJ it can backfire on them. Was it ten years ago the gas prices went bonkers for a couple of months? They jacked the price pretty good but in jersey you can only do it ONCE a week. Well guess what folks. The price kept going up and they were lock at their first price gouge. For an entire week they were the cheapest price in town. Had some waiting lines as people were filling up by the hundreds!!! Another thing was the "girls" had to stop and P. If the rest stops could have charged 50 cents a head they would make a fortune.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a science project you can try the next time. Those tunnels are very temperature stable. Couple of miles before you get to one roll the window down and play airplane with your hand. See if you can get your hand to maintain a perfectly smooth up and down. Then as you drive into one of those tunnels all of a sudden your hand will stabilize. Almost as slick as glass. Try not to follow another car too closely. There are few air Eddie's and it is almost like a solid. Neat experiment if you give it a try.

MtMan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember the 7 tunnels on the Pa. turnpike very well. I was an over the road trucker and those tunnel were dimly lit with natural gas lighting. Also, me being a little tired and only hoped the big truck coming toward you, and the driver was wide awake as if they come over the line just a bit there was no place for you to go . Also they washed them, I think weekly and if you got to a tunnel that they were washing you had to wait on the end until they were done. It took quite a few minutes for them to finish washing. Some times the weather from one end of the tunnel to the other end would be quite a bit different. I really like the upgrades they have done to all the tunnels.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tolls are almost free compared to the toll road near me in Ontario, Canada.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You brought up another thing. People think you are crazy when you tell them one end of the tunnel is a sunny clear day and the other is pouring down rain. Had it happen a couple of times. I didn't know about gas illumination.

DRussell
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Another Turnpike film. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the toll road near you the QEW? Been to Niagara Falls many times as a kid and up to the Welland Ship Canal.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters