Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Need Venturi for 1930 I.H. Truck; Tractor Venturi Crossover?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarbDoc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject: Need Venturi for 1930 I.H. Truck; Tractor Venturi Crossover? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am restoring a Zenith carburetor for a 1930 International Harvester truck. There are, of course, no restoration parts available for this carburetor --- at least none of which I am aware.

The pot-metal venturi is crumbling, as are most early castings made with too much lead in the die-casting mixture. Its dimensions are:
I.D .789" or about 25/32"
O.D. 1.87" or 3/16"
Length: 1.50" or 1/2"

My initial thought was to use a Model A Ford venturi, but that turns out to be incompatible. Even if I turned down the external diameter and shortened it by about 3/8", the restriction is 1/16" too large.

Sooo . . . I thought about tractors. They have smaller venturi restrictions and I wondered if any of them might be adaptable to the I.H. truck. Does anyone know of a table that exists showing tractor venturi dimensions? Any other suggestions of a venturi application to check out?

I'd publish a photo, but it wouldn't show you anything other than a deteriorating pot-metal sleeve.

Jeff Dreibus
Nebo, NC

hymie2lt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Need Venturi for 1930 I.H. Truck; Tractor Venturi Crosso Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Jeff
I have a couple of old new venturi. If you reply to my E-mail...maybe we can find one that will work for you?
E-mail...bottom right classic view.
Wayne

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Need Venturi for 1930 I.H. Truck; Tractor Venturi Crosso Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How about a photo of the carb and a model number?

There's so darned much obscure stuff on the 'net surly SOMETHING will show up with enough digging?

As an example, here's a site that shows a bunch of venturis, you might contact them for dimensions to see if any are close enough to work with a little machining. You probably don't need the brass jet shown, but that could be removed.

https://www.carbsonly.com/industrialandZenithcarburetors/venturisize.htm

And, as a last resort, why not make a new venturi out of aluminum stock?

Take diameter measurements at various "depths" and machine "steps" in some aluminum stock to those measurements on a lathe, and then, "blend" the area between the steps manually.

Shouldn't be too tough to get close enough to work for this low-tech application, I would think?

CarbDoc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Venturi for 1930 I.H. Truck; Tractor Venturi Crosso Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob,Carb is a Zenith ST4B.
Thanks for the link
I don't have the skill or the lathe to allow me to turn out a complete venturi. Turn an existing one down, sure, but not
manufacture one.

Wayne, you've been emailed.
Jeff

CarbDoc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Venturi for 1930 I.H. Truck; Tractor Venturi Crosso Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oops! Sixth line of original post should read "O.D. 1.187" or 3/16".

hymie2lt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Venturi for 1930 I.H. Truck; Tractor Venturi Crosso Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jeff
Sorry, dont see an E-mail on my end?
Wayne

CarbDoc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Venturi for 1930 I.H. Truck; Tractor Venturi Crosso Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-hymie2lt wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:03:30 01/14/20) Jeff
Sorry, dont see an E-mail on my end?
Wayne

Wayne,

Well, I did my best; this has got to be one of the most user-unfriendly forums I have used. Not the people --- just the site format.

Since I last posted, it appears that I have found a guy who will make them for me at $15 apiece so I'm going to go with that.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

Jeff

hymie2lt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Venturi for 1930 I.H. Truck; Tractor Venturi Crosso Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jeff
OK, no problem. Are you on modern view on this site or classic view?
Wayne

CarbDoc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Need Venturi for 1930 I.H. Truck; Tractor Venturi Crosso Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-hymie2lt wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:43:23 01/14/20) Jeff
OK, no problem. Are you on modern view on this site or classic view?
Wayne

Modern view.
Jeff

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters