Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Steel bolt broke off in an aluminum block - need ideas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Steel bolt broke off in an aluminum block - need ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Left handed drill bit. Your job is what they are for.

pinball
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Steel bolt broke off in an aluminum block - need ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would think the safest way would be continue drilling it out so you can re thread it.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Steel bolt broke off in an aluminum block - need ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would use heat and my left hand drill bits.

Paul in MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Steel bolt broke off in an aluminum block - need ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If all your efforts fail, how about using an electric fuel pump?

Paul in MN

Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel bolt broke off in an aluminum block - need ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with the suggestion to use heat. Aluminum's coefficient of expansion is 2 to 2.5 times that of steel. A propane torch is the tool to use. If it was assembled with the high-temp loctite the heat will also break that loose. I have also had luck "shocking" a broken bolt out. Drill all the way through the bolt as you have done and fill the hole to the top with penetrating oil. Let it sit overnight--this will allow the oil to work its way up the threads from below. Then, drill a second small hole as close to the edge of the broken bolt as possible. This hole should be drilled to a depth about equal to its own diameter--just a dimple, really. Then, put a nail set in this hole/dimple, angling it to drive the broken bolt counter clockwise. Give it a good sharp "pop" with a hammer and the bolt should hopefully shift a little bit in its hole. Once it starts to go, the oil will seep in all around it and help things a lot, and you should be able to work it out by repeated sharp hammer blows. The shock trick may be hard here as this bolt sounds pretty small. I used it on a frozen sheared off radiator housing but that one was 3/8. I drilled through with a 1/8 drill bit, then made my dimple with the same drill bit as close to the edge as I could. I also used it on frozen bolts in aluminum magneto housings where I couldn't use heat for fear of ruining the magnets, and it worked great. As the others have said, you do have to let the oil work overnight or longer if you can, which is hard for me as I am impatient on these things. Good luck.

Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Steel bolt broke off in an aluminum block - need ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thinking further, 9/64 is about 3.5 mm, so if this is a 6mm bolt there won't be much metal left for the dimple. Unless the bolt broke off with a jagged corner, which would give you something to drive the nail set against, then the heat trick is probably your best bet. I would try heat on both the bolt itself but also on the aluminum. You never know which one will work. Good luck again.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Steel bolt broke off in an aluminum block - need ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The thing you have to realize is that the only thing holding the remnant of the bolt is corrosion between the bolt and casting. If there was no corrosion, the bolt would have easily come out with the easy-out. Actually, it wouldn't have broke in the first place. So you have to break the bond between the threads of the bolt and the threads of the casting. And heat is the best way to do that.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Steel bolt broke off in an aluminum block - need ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Aluminum rate of expansion is approx. 8 times greater than steel.

Dave41A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Steel bolt broke off in an aluminum block - need ideas Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Coefficients of linear expansion:
Aluminum 21 to 24 x 10(-6) in/in/F
Steel 10.8 to 12.5 x 10(-6) in/in/F

It is the linear, or diametral change in the hole vs the bolt that is of significance here.
list of expansion coefficients

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters