Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

3930 clutch issues

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texczech
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:39 am    Post subject: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 3930 that is hard to get into gear. It has a 7209 loader on it.It has a 4 speed with L-H stick also. Any tips on getting the loader off, and any advice on clutch removal & replacement? As well as other things to check while the tractor is split? Thanks for any information!

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you tried adjusting the clutch?
How much free travel does the pedal have.
List the unit number, model number and serial number off the side of the trans or from the data tag under the hood.
3930 went through a number of changes during it's production run, need to know which one you have.
What loader does it have?
Can you post a photo of the tractor and loader.

Texczech
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3C03B DA70K07 are the numbers on the block flat area

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Texczech wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:34:47 01/15/20) 3C03B DA70K07 are the numbers on the block flat area

He was asking for the numbers on the flat spot on the transmission bell housing above the two large bolt holes, just above and toward the rear of the tractor from the starter, or the numbers from the sticker on the under side of the right hood panel, above the battery.

Texczech
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Under hood info Tractor Number BD41857 Model Ca514C Unit 3C15B Trans,Rear Axle, Hyd Pump=3C08B Hyd Lift 3C12A

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Model # CA514C
CA5 = 3930 all purpose
1 = Diesel engine
4 = Ind 540 PTO
C = 8x2 manual trans

Production date 3C15B
Tractor was built March 15, 1993 on day shift

Serial # BD41857 is for a tractor built in 1993

You tractor has the standard 8 spd trans Ford has used since 1965, it gives very little trouble and normally shifts with ease.
Hard shifting is normally from being low on oil or the clutch is dragging (no completely disengaging), this can be from worn pressure plate release fingers or improper linkage adjustment.
After checking oil level linkage adjustment is the next thing to check, you should be able the easily push the pedal down 1 - 1 1/2" before feeling much resistance, much over 2" of free travel will require linkage adjustment.
Check this first and let us know what you have.

Texczech
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do have the clutch adjusted with freeplay. I am assuming there is a pressure plate or pilot bearing issue. I am going to split the tractor, any tips or advice on doing this job?Thanks!

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Normally splitting a Ford tractor isn't a big job but on the later models like yours they made some changes that really complicated the job.
First the loader has to come off, I'm not familiar with the loader you have has to weather it's a quick attach model or not, regardless the loader and any subframe that attaches the front axle to the transmission and or rear axle must be removed.
Hopefully you have a concrete floor to work on in order to roll the tractor apart.
The plastic fuel tank and much more complicated wiring harness makes splitting your tractor a lot harder than a early model.
If you don't have it I recommend you purchase a I&T Manual # FO-47.

I'd like a little more info on what the tractor is doing other than hard to get in gear.
Is this something that's started recently?
Does it grind going in gear or are the shifters hard to move?
In gear with the pedal down does the tractor continue to pull itself?
With the pedal down once stopped will the shifters easily slide out of gear or are they difficult to move like the clutch is dragging?
Does any oil leak from the weep hole under the clutch housing?

JoeM(GA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tex, I have a PDF of the Ford 10/30 series service manual, it's a huge file,
but can share a link to it with you if wanted. Shoot me your email if wanted

Joe

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First or second edition?
I have the first edition 10-30 series manuals and there's very little in them about the later model 3930,4630 tractors and nothing about the 5030.

JoeM(GA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it's dated 11/95 doesn't say second edition so I'd assume that it would be a first addition

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine doesn't have a edition number but it's the 6 volume set, later they came out with a 7 volume set splitting the electrical into 2 volumes, not sure if any other info is different or not.
There is a separate set of manuals that serve the later 3230, 3930, 4630 and 5030 models, these are probably the ones he needs but the I&T manual I recommended should help him at a lower cost.

Texczech
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It does grind when going into gear.The tractor will pull itself somewhat when the clutch pedal is down. The shifters are hard to move with the pedal down. I can't tell if there is much oil underneath, it is a little messy. Thanks for the reply!

JoeM(GA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Texczech wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:39:45 01/14/20) I have a 3930 that is hard to get into gear. It has a 7209 loader on it.It has a 4 speed with L-H stick also. Any tips on getting the loader off, and any advice on clutch removal & replacement? As well as other things to check while the tractor is split? Thanks for any information!

Hey Don, the email in your YT message comes back as no good,
Check and message me

Thanks

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 3930 clutch issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got the download, thanks
It's better than my books but still doesn't show much on the later 30 series.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters