Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Best leather gloves?????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
44 massey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Needing a new pair of leather work gloves (unlined) mainly for use in the shop, when working with iron!!! Want something comfortable and not real stiff!! There?s cowhide, deerhide, pig skin, goat skin and even seen some buffalo hide gloves!!! What?s ur opinion on the best wearing (toughness) leather, last time think I got deer skin! They were soft and comfortable but they didn?t last very long at all!!! I read it also makes a difference what part of the animal the skin was taken from too!!!

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bison by far. Our Farm Fleet (Mills) Has them. Look dressy, but are solid performers. Jim

ClaytonBolen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know that their the best but i just use tillman tig gloves as my shop gloves, I get a couple months out of them when i'm doing a lot in the shop but local welding supply sells them cheap enough.

Oregon Tractor Jack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tillman is what I use.

OTJ

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have never seen bison gloves in person, but I used to have a pigskin backpack that wore like iron on steroids! Used it for years. Looked so great when the stitching was failing that I bought kevlar thread. Looked like hell years later, but it was finally time to retire it.

There are some Kinco brand bison gloves on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Buffalo-Leather-Working-Gloves-2-PACK/dp/B07BDNR4QT/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=bison+work+gloves&qid=1578887526&sr=8-5
I looked on Mills Fleet Farm website but did not see any.

Tillman has some nice-looking mig welding gloves on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/John-Tillman-50-Cowhide-Seamless/dp/B003TMVPUU/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=mig+welding+gloves&qid=1578887339&sr=8-6

as well as some without cuffs:
https://www.amazon.com/Tillman-1414-Cowhide-Drivers-Gloves/dp/B00439EWF8/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=mig+welding+gloves&qid=1578887339&sr=8-10

Someone posted some time back about some gloves they found on eBay. Not sure if it was these, but near as I can remember, these look pretty much identical. Got reinforcement leather in all the right places:
https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Gardening-Construction-Warehouse-Motorcycle/dp/B074TZ2MPT/ref=sr_1_62?keywords=mig+welding+gloves&qid=1578887768&sr=8-62

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

AS listed below, Tillman 1414L is what I wear at work,they are a little stiff for the first day then they are fine. 1414 is the model then S,M,L & EX . When I get too many holes in mine at work, I just take them home for the shop.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The best I can find off the shelf is the dark brown color leather drivers from Ace Hardware. The leather will last with reasonable non abusive kind of use and best of all, unlike almost every other glove off the shelf is that the seam stitching does not fail. I have learned that so many of those will fail at the seam when doing impact work like pounding a fence post in by hand, while the leather will last, they just fall apart, but could be easily re-stitched if you had the machine to do it. I can recall asking this question here in the past and many responses were for brands you can't get off the shelf, always wanted to check some of those out.

Tony in SD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of the best blacksmiths I ever knew told me the best metal working gloves were not leather at all. He said leather gets hot and stays hot, gets stiff, gets hard, and cost too much. He used heavyweight yellow or green farmer gloves. I have to agree with him. That?s all I?ve used in nearly 40 years. I have several pair on my welder.

SETX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tillman

NC Wayne
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll throw in another endorsement for the Tillman welding gloves. Their MIG gloves are little heavier than the TIG gloves, and will last longer, but are a bit stiffer. Either should give a reasonable amount of service though.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bison (buffalo) glove
one source

gears
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wear the SummitRacing brand leather fabricators gloves, $14 and they're better lasting than TiG gloves, more feel/tighter fit than the heavier "rancher" gloves I use piling wood.

jaoneill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As a good all around glove I like Kinco pigskin, the pair I keep in the shop and around the farmstead will become really soft and comfortable after a few months use and they are also great to use in the woods because they don't get stiff after being wet, and they seem to outlast any cow leather gloves I've tried for working up firewood. In recent years when the shop pair starts getting worn I switch to a pair I've started using for firewood that is already broken in. I generally buy a six pack every two years.
After reading the comments here I think I'll try a two pack of their bison leather.

Kid Shileen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leather is ok but consider the line of Mechanix wear. They have a glove for most uses. I?ve had several different types and have always been happy with the product.

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Best leather gloves????? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back when I was farming and bailing hay, I liked goat skin gloves.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters