Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am wondering how the front wheels can have such a big lug nut using a 1 3/4 socket you figure, when the rear wheels use 1 1/8 socket.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that is very true, < but going by what he said had no tools.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rustred wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:59:46 01/17/20) negative always ??? how is that?

Oh, any time you don't directly answer someone's question exactly as it's asked, some people get bent out of shape...

Look, there is nothing wrong with providing additional supporting information, or getting someone to think about their issue from a different perspective. Maybe the person literally hadn't thought about just walking out there with a tape measure? When you can get a whole set of tools for what one wrench would cost, how is that bad?

A little extreme, but if someone came here with the question, "What kind of knife should I use to plunge into my thigh?" You would just tell him "butter" or "Bowie?" You wouldn't question his rationale for plunging a knife into his thigh? You wouldn't try to convince him that it was a bad idea and maybe there was a different solution to his issue?

Jim Shorts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went work on the lug nuts today (12 degrees in the barn) and I can report there are 10 - 1 1/2? lug nuts on the front axel of an IH 706 with front wheel power assist.

Jim Shorts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim Shorts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a most fortuitous situation yesterday. After leaving Harbor Freight empty handed yesterday, I stoped to see my parents. I was telling my father about my new project and my need for large sockets. Out of the clear blue he said check in the back porch your grandfather?s mechanics tools are in the back corner under a bunch of boxes. Upon digging the old toolboxes out I found a complete set of S and K sockets going up to 2 inches, a total game changer.

Jim Shorts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim Shorts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My grandfathers old sockets that I found yesterday in my parents back porch, a little heat and some penetrating oil and the wheel popped right off. Next step installing a tube, so I can get this thing out of the barn.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the followup. SK tools are sweet. Your grandfather had good taste. You'll be passing them on to your grandchildren some day.

You've got an Elwood axle on your 706, not the usual Coleman that would have come from the factory at that time. Coleman has 12 lugs per wheel and from what little I could find in the online parts book, only 1/2" diameter fasteners.

Elwood's a marginally better axle, better turning radius at least.

Jim Shorts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was very lucky to find the tools.

One more issue....

The tractor apparently has one more issue.
There is hydraulic leak in the steering. Hydraulic fluid comes out of the steering wheel, the center, as it starts to get a little warm from use. After a few hours the steering isn't normal. I haven t seen it because I haven t started it but this is what I have been told. Does anyone have any thoughts.?

New to blogging should I start a new thread with question?

ih560
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can get a steering hand pump rebuild kit from IH, it is part number 86585473. They are not difficult to work on, just keep everything clean and pay attention to how it comes apart.

ih560
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should have said Seal Kit, it is just the seals and no hard components.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was more interested in seeing the front wheel picture with those nuts. thanks for posting.

Jim Shorts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick response on the steering issue. I will try to get it ordered tomorrow, is this an universal kit for all 706 tractors.

Thinking about it I should have grabbed the serial number and any other identifying information yesterday.

Are there any tricks of the trade to remove the unit and the re- install. I am somewhat mechanical but this is all new for me.

Thanks for any suggestions....

Jim Shorts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 706 with Front Wheel Assist lug nuts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters