Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

H lift points on block

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DD in WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm removing the engine on my 42 H for a complete rebuild. Have most everything removed including the head and ready to remove the block from the tranny. Where do you attach the chains to lift the block? On the front looks like one chain can go where the water pump was attached but where in the rear? Stupid question I know but there doesn't seem to be an obvious place to attach.

Thanks,

jal-SD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We used to use a short length of chain &
bolted to the block with bolts that go in
the head bolt holes. Opposite corners on
the block to balance it. Lift so you can
balance it as it moves away from the bell
housing. If I remember correctly, there
are alingment pins in the bell or block -
it's been a while since I have had one
apart. jal-SD

DD in WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jal-sd wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:52:03 01/17/20) We used to use a short length of chain &
apart. jal-SD

When the head comes off all the studs remained in the block. Did you remove a couple of those studs and then attach a chain to the block with a bolt there? Is there an easy way to remove those studs?

DD in WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DD in WA wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:22:36 01/17/20)
CVPost-Jal-sd wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:52:03 01/17/20) We used to use a short length of chain &
apart. jal-SD

When the head comes off all the studs remained in the block. Did you remove a couple of those studs and then attach a chain to the block with a bolt there? Is there an easy way to remove those studs?

Instead of trying to get the studs out I removed the water jacket cover and will use one of the bolt holes there along with one of the bolt holes on the front where the water pump connects. See any problem with this? Will get some grade 8 bolts.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the head studs but I also have a bar that has a set up where the lift is up and no sideways pull on them

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put a chain link on the studs & cut a short piece of pipe to fit & put a nut on top.
That way it will not bend the studs.

jhncp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It might not be hard to turn a couple studs
out with a vicegrip or pipe wrench as long
as you don't snap one off (that would be
bad). I turned a couple out pretty easy on a
wd6

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grade 8 bolts are not necessary. The bolts that came out of the engine are quite sufficient.Any of the sugestions below are quite acceptable. 'Pick your poison'.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I prefer to lift from the head
bolts/studs. I use a regular stud
puller. A pipe wrench or vise grips will
sometimes work. I will remove the studs
and use a bolt if possible. If the studs
are rusted I will just use a piece of
pipe spacer as was previously discussed.

DD in WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. To close the loop on this one: I ended up using the bolt hole where the water pump goes and the bolt hole from the water jacket cover on the other end of the head. The water jacket cover needed to come off an be replaced anyway. Seemed to work okay.

ih560
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you end up buying one of the new aftermarket water jacket covers, pay attention when you put it back on. I bought one for my H when I restored it because the old one was really thin in spots and possibly a pinhole or two, although it wasn't leaking when I took it off. Anyway, the new one had the baffle/coolant director or whatever you want to call it welded to it with a big gap so that it hit the cylinder casting before the water jacket cover would adequately compress the gasket. I didn't notice when I put it together, because it wasn't obvious and look like it tightened down good. After I got everything nice painted and assembled, I had a coolant leak there. I pulled it back apart and figured out what it was and the only two solutions were to cut the piece off and reweld it correctly, which would have ruined the paint on the piece, or just put a second gasket. I chose the second gasket for the mean-time and it hasn't leaked since.

DD in WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: H lift points on block Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great advice, thanks!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters