Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Young wannabe farmer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levibridge
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Young wannabe farmer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the farming bug but still live at home with my parents and we only have 1 acre. How profitable will it be to rent a couple acres that are scattered around my place within the mile or 2 and possibly do corn or some other crop? I already have a '44 JD b and a '51 AC B and '49 C. I would just need to get some implements.

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Young wannabe farmer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty hard to do corn on small fields. How about hay?

Levibridge
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Young wannabe farmer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That would be a better choice. Definitely do small square bales.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Young wannabe farmer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hay can be a nice summer job and works on odd fields a little better. Lot of work, but that is how you get paid, so that would be good.

A problem with hay is keeping it dry until your customers come. You can sell it right behind the baler, but still rain happens, and storing some until fall and selling then gets a better price, if you have a building or can find a roof with one of the small fields to put some hay in.....

Depends, of course, on your market, horses or small dairy or what is around you.

Paul

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Young wannabe farmer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do several small fields for hay that No one else
wants .

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Young wannabe farmer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also vote for hay or maybe sweet corn. But just hay the first year. Small square balers are cheap, and you'll find out if you really want it. Farming. Good luck!

JK-NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Young wannabe farmer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want to make a small profit I would agree with the other
posts that suggest hay in square bales. The other thing that
could be profitable would be vegetable crops like sweet corn,
tomatoes, pumpkins etc. The main issues with hay would be
the cost of seeding the fields to hay unless they already are in
hay, having storage and a market for it. The main issues with
the vegetable operation would be producing a marketable
crop and marketing it. Farmers markets or your own road side
stand are two options. There?s a fair amount of time hand
harvesting and marketing vegetables.

JCCWI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Young wannabe farmer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree.......on small fields , hay works best. Helps if you have horse lovers in the area ,they can be hard to deal with. I find the dealing and haggling fun........make sure you know your cost per bale.

The trouble with crops like corn and beans is the harvest......with small acres you will have to hire combining .....unless you are rich ...lol... and can buy combine. Hard too hire harvest on small acres.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Young wannabe farmer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot depends on your regular job. If you work part time or nights, hay can work well if you can still do your job lacking some sleep. If you work full time days or afternoon shift you will need to burn some of your vacation time, loose overtime, or call in sick to put up any hay during the work week. It can be a bummer if you can't get time off before your hay gets rained on.

Have you considered pasturing livestock or working part time for another farmer? As low man on another farm you might get the less desirable jobs, but it could be a great opportunity to learn a lot about farming while getting paid. On the downside, minimum wage could be more than you will make your first few years of farming. I noticed none of your tractors have live PTO, which would help a lot for hay.

TX-AC
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Young wannabe farmer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tough to make any money on small acreage like that, maybe with melons or veggies would be better?
Urge you to go to work for or just help another larger farmer to learn and you will need to ask plenty of questions.

Remember the old addage; "how do you make a million farming?, start with two million" . . . . .

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Young wannabe farmer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As others have said hay is your best bet. You need to make good quality hay but all that takes is determination. The key is good customer relations. I have a few good customers who have been buying from me for 30 years.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters