Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

battery mishap

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CenTex Farmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Grandfather lost a finger in almost exactly the same way. Got on a ladder or such to get something off of a shelf at work and then slipped or mis-stepped and ring caught on a hook.

Mutt and Jeff
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the old ball and chain effect

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One rule we had in the concrete block plant no rings,watches,etc lot of electrical work plus a lot of mechanical things to snag.I never wear any jewelry of any type.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Horror stories like that and those below are why I did not want a wedding ring when I got married. Now lately the trend is to have a ring tattooed on your finger. That seems like a good idea except for what do you do if/when you get divorced ?

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I learned to respect the power of a car battery when I saw my brother's old pickup hood. He was bouncing around in a field with a battery that wasn't bolted down (base was rusted out). Hit a big enough bump and the truck just stopped dead with smoke pouring out from under the hood - then a couple flames coming through the hood. As near as he could tell the battery bounced up - welded itself to the bottom side of the hood, burned a big hole through the hood then dropped back down where it belonged - thoroughly fried.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brother almost tore his finger off when
his ring caught a nail and he had jumped
out of barn loft.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I first started working on power systems. I was told to remove any thing metal and keep it off.It is not worth your life.

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cut your finger off?

Ben

DMartin9N-2N
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good afternoon:
Add me to the list of ring injuries; Early in my first marriage, while in the army, I let my wedding ring become part of the battery circuit on a jeep. Luckily I jumped and the ring came away from the battery terminal before I got too badly burned. A jeweler repaired the ring, and forever after, I made sure to take it off before working on stuff. (During my second marriage, I put on a little weight, that second ring no longer fits. I decided that was just ok). Just my story....

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did the same thing working on a Massey 82 combine. The wedding band was between the wrench and the frame of the combine. After the instant hot finger I did a lot of hand shaking till I could get to the water hydrant but by then the ring had cooled somewhat. The silver colored ring had a brown tint to it after that. The baloney blister that puffed up around my finger was plenty uncomfortable for a few days and I have not worn that ring since. It happened a little over 40 years ago.

BAnNC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Still have a ring cutter just like the one we used in the ER to remove constrictive bands from damaged digits. Kept it just in case.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amazing how that memory is BURNED into your long term memory!Smile I know.. bad
pun. Man that must of hurt. In my job as a Kitchen Mechanic, I like cooking
and all but in commercial kitchens there is this general rule of Thumb.
EVERYTHING is either HOT or SHARP. Also never ever try to catch that knife you
dropped! I have also found that the most dangerous tool in a kitchen is a DULL
knife. That one really is true.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: battery mishap Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad was mechanic, wore ring, same thing, then ring no more.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters