Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2940 hydraulic problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim boyd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have acquired another tractor. It is a jd 2940 "ser# 397075L". I got the tractor with hydraulic issues and it has 7067 hours on it,and is in very
good shape. It doesn't look like it has been abused. The previous owner said he believed that there were internal transmission pipes that were the likely problem,says
that the 3pt is really jerky when it gets warm,power steering acts up on occasion and he believes that the hydraulic oil is getting hot and is causing the seals to
blow. The power steering cylinders were leaking and I repaired them just so I could get in and out of the barn without major oil loss. Now I know my description of
the issues are not all that great, this is a new tractor to me so I'm going in mostly blind, I understand that the tractor will need to be split. Many people have
said this model is a throw away,but I would like to think I'm fairly handy and I have a lot of time and enjoy working on challenging tractors.so could anyone point me
in the right direction. Thank you very much for any advice.

Jim.ME
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are going to do this start by getting the John Deere Technical and Operator's manuals for it. There is diagnostic info to help pinpoint the issues and recommended fixes. The manuals give you a guide to nomenclature and the systems, then members here can help with questions you have.

This site has some manuals, I don't know if they have reprints of the JD manuals or something else. You would need to call and confirm what they have.

You can find the OEM JD manuals (printed, CD, or downloads) at
https://techpubs.deere.com/Products/ProductSearch.aspx. There is a phone number (1-800-522-7448) there if you want to talk to a person to confirm the right manuals.

If you don't want to purchase a parts catalog you can use the on line parts catalog at https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.deere.u90.jdparts.view.publicservlets.HomeUnsigned?selectedMenu=JDPARTS_HOME&userAction=countrySelected&country=US&language=19.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll 2nd what Jim.ME stated. You need to acquire TM1220. It surprises me that the printed or CD or downloaded versions are priced so close to each other.

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get the manuals as others have said, but in the meantime have a look in through the hydraulic oil filler to see if there is oil spraying around indicating a rockshaft leak. This is a common issue on the JD utility tractors and is not a difficult fix. No split required.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have my Condolences...But start out by checking the sump screen/filter first,,but I know they will be clean..(the guy before you already did that),,it could be a cracked pipe in the internal system..you will be splitting it,, some thing else to check is to be sure the cone that fits into the transmission filter is in place,, i have seen them get away and nothing holds the filter in place,, so it will get to spinning in the bowl, a the end seal gets torn off and sent through the system...there is plenty of help on here to help you with it...

tomstractorsandtoys
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need Deere service manuals but check Ebay for a good original before paying big money to Deere. Some of the Deere reprints are not the best quality.Tom

Ragnarok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Tech 7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:39:53 02/14/20) Get the manuals as others have said, but in the meantime have a look in through the hydraulic oil filler to see if there is oil spraying around indicating a rockshaft leak. This is a common issue on the JD utility tractors and is not a difficult fix. No split required.

Yeh...the blown packings/o"rings on the rockshaft is worth a look.

These tractors can be fairly complex depending on configuration. Pipes inside the transmission can blow out or split...or wear a hole in rubbing another pipe....

I went through the front half of a 2940 transmission a couple years ago. Be warned that many parts are no longer available through Deere(quad-pack for sure).I had to source parts through a salvage yard.....some of the internal pipes sub to other Deere numbers which require other parts to fit...parts can be a mess!

Probably the first thing I would do is drain the trans oil and filter into clean buckets....pull the screen out of it and inspect for trash/debris....Hope it don't have a cab or loader on it!! Makes these awful to work on...

Tim boyd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you everyone! I will start by getting repair books.

Resting Relics 1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Tim,
I worked for a John Deere dealer at the time the 2940's were new. They were an improvement over the 2840 but not by much. Had many of the same issues. The internal hydraulic control piping cracking in the transmission case was one of the more common problems. Those pipes carried charge pump oil pressure, 800 psi, which functioned the PTO, High/Low, and forward reverser if equipped. When those pipes crack you'll lose charge pressure to the main pump and that could cause lots of problems. It could also be that you just have a high pressure leak somewhere and the main pump runs out of oil and causes the chatter or heating of the oil. Long story short is you'll need some gauges and the Tech manual to diagnose whats going on. Good Luck!
John

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John
I thought trans pump pressure on JD utility tractors was closer to 155 psi than 800 psi but I don't have access to a 2940 tech manual.

Resting Relics 1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could be right Jim. I'm just going by memory which ain't what it used to be. Need the tech manual.
John

Tim boyd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK so I'm back working on my 2940,I had a service tech from my local deere dealer come and preform the tests on the transmission and hydraulic system. He said that there was a problem within the trans and needed to be split. So I ordered every pipe that goes in the trans, to much work just to replace one of 8 pipes.... oh and I did buy a repair manual aswell.. so here is my question, some of the pipes require the differential to be removed has anyone ever done this without removing it ???

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 2940 hydraulic problems Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Tim boyd wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:22:52 03/30/20) OK so I'm back working on my 2940,I had a service tech from my local deere dealer come and preform the tests on the transmission and hydraulic system. He said that there was a problem within the trans and needed to be split. So I ordered every pipe that goes in the trans, to much work just to replace one of 8 pipes.... oh and I did buy a repair manual aswell.. so here is my question, some of the pipes require the differential to be removed has anyone ever done this without removing it ???

Transmission oil pumps are not cheap, however there is a possibility that it is worn .

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters