Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Injector pump questions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyquil Junkie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We got the 64ish 4000 backhoe dopped off today. It got dark before I could crawl over it too much but, I got a pic of the injector pump plate.

A few questions... Its wet when the engine is running, not enough to drip on the ground, but it gets wet... diesel fuel I assume. Is that relatively normal for an old diesel? Is it something that will need fixed soon, or just ignored until its an actual dripping leak? It doesn't effect it running or starting...it doesn't make any odd or expensive noises while the engine is running.

Here is the plate...

Nyquil Junkie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know why it posted two pics... :roll:

Al Baker(pumpman)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is starting to weep a little on the out side the drive seals are most likely starting, or going to start leaking soon. That pump uses a back up o
ring to try and help keep the diesel out of the engine oil.Over time the o rings just get hard and leak with age. Time for a reseal. Al

Nyquil Junkie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is that something simple I can do or does it have to be sent or taken somewhere?

Al Baker(pumpman)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on you skill level and what you are comfortable doing. Some guys are able to fix pumps at home. Some guys have a train wreck. I average about
one pump a month sent to me in a bag. Its been torn down and now we have an issue. Some are reassembled and something went terribly wrong. Not all pump
guys will bend you over. Make some calls and price check. 450 should easily get the job done. Any more than that you didnt make many calls. Al

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My favorite comment on some pumps owners have brought in for repair is, " I tried to fix it myself, and it still won't work". Another is, " I just went through this pump myself, and just want you to test it". NOT going to happen...

Nyquil Junkie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah no.... I can repair a lot of stuff, or at least rig them to keep on working BUT.... I know when something is over my head. These pumps and the exploded charts that I can find of similar ones tell me pretty clear... I have no idea what I'd be doing.

I'd rather just pay someone to rebuild it or buy a reconditioned one. Sometimes doing it cheap is really really expensive.

Is it ok to clean the pump off while its on the tractor with something like brake kleen or non chlorinated brake or parts cleaner? That way maybe I can pinpoint where the leak is once its bone dry and clean. It might be from a line or something not so critical, as I have NO idea if the owner ever had it resealed, rebuilt or replaced...or if so when.

If its leaking in a bad place.... Its going to somebody who knows more than I do.

I've made enough expensive mistakes in life to know when I'm over my head. :lol:

Nyquil Junkie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well... today just got complicated. There is diesel in the engine oil. Not a lot, the oil level is still about 3/4 up the hatch marks on the dipstick so it cant be very much. I have flushed a good many gas engines with diesel fuel in the oil to clean out the gunk... so I know what a qt of diesel does to the viscosity of 5 qt of oil....this oil is still sticky and slick. I have to drain the engine tomorrow and check how thin the oil is....hopefully is not contaminated too badly. I'll refill it and change the filter.

Yup... I know what that means if they ran it like that for any length of time with even more fuel contamination. While I had it running the other day moving it off the trailer, I heard no knocks from the bottom end. Maybe I'll get lucky and its a new leak from sitting and not one they were working the thing with yrs ago.

So the pump needs replaced or rebuilt or resealed or... something. I don't even know where to start with that one. Take the pump to a New Holland dealer? or will any tractor service shop do it?

I suddenly have a very bad headache.
:x

Nyquil Junkie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see in some past threads several of you guys rebuild injection pumps....

I got a sick pump and some money, any takers?

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nyquil Junkie wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:35:32 03/25/20) I see in some past threads several of you guys rebuild injection pumps....

I got a sick pump and some money, any takers?

Depends on how far away you are.

Nyquil Junkie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

UPS will take it anywhere it needs to go...

I'm in SW PA.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My e-mail is mhf35diesel@yahoo.com and as Al says, make a few calls and get some quotes is always a good idea..

Nyquil Junkie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dieseltech wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:31:52 03/25/20) My e-mail is mhf35diesel@yahoo.com and as Al says, make a few calls and get some quotes is always a good idea..

Where do I call... I assume a JD or NH dealer/shop to start? There are a few close by... I'lll start tomorrow.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nyquil Junkie wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:05:18 03/25/20)
CVPost-Dieseltech wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:31:52 03/25/20) My e-mail is mhf35diesel@yahoo.com and as Al says, make a few calls and get some quotes is always a good idea..

Where do I call... I assume a JD or NH dealer/shop to start? There are a few close by... I'lll start tomorrow.

Generally speaking . . . no. Most equipment dealers send their pumps and injectors out for repair. A shop that specializes in diesel injection systems is where you want to ask your questions.

I think the last Roosa Master (Stanadyne) Pump I did, the guy gave me $200.00 and the cost of the parts, which was roughly $75 - $80.00 for his.

TinCan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Injector pump questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I didn't know crap about my injector pump. I pulled it apart to find my problem, and I asked everyone I could about it.No one could answer my problem. I kept working on it. Turns out to be a cam problem. All you need to do, is pull the shaft out of the pump. It should just pull by hand, some times it's a little harder to pull. It's the two rubber seals & and a o-ring holding it in. Those are the ones you need to replace to stop the leak into your oil pan.

Picture is of the shaft you need to pull out. It will only go back in in one way. Oil it up after you put the new seals on it, so that they go in the bore right. It's alot easier then it sounds. and your ready to go back on the engine.

Pat

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters