Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

trencher?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtf
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a trencher for my skid steers that I use quite often. Don't be in a hurry to sod over that trench. No matter how much you try to backfill that trench it will keep settling for several months afterwards.

Back when I was a kid I can remember dad borrowing a one bottom plow and burying an electric line in that plow furrow.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Knife is less intrusive than trencher, and much less than backhoe, can walk over and tamp down with foot.

Jack345
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lots of "youtube videos" showing use of ripper to install pipe. 3 point hitch pvc pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiuwmMTMevg

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here you go.

I would add a vibrator on the upper link.
Untitled URL Link

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a quick run to Tennessee my friend and I have a Ditch-Witch hydro-static walk behind. Solve you problem so quick , it is even electric start. One thing that get used around here a lot. Wish we were closer.

kris Jensen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have a hoe. I would use it. You would have the job done faster than the time you hunted looking for other equipment
Long time ago I worked with Bell canada in construction.
We used knife blades to plow cable. (subsoilers )anything deeper than 30 inches required as least a D6 or TD 15 to pull
them. Used a knife blade on a cable winch. It could go to about 20 inches comfortably in sand. We also used a Davis
trencher (glorified chain saw.) Only thing that worked well was a back hoe if there were lots of rocks or gravelly soil.
It is not that difficult to back fill with the hoe or front end loader, A little bit of judicious use of a rake, yeh I know it is an
instrument of physical torture, and some seed and in a short time you would not know you had been there.
I would opt for a fair sized plastic pipe. You could change or add more cable relatively easy.
Blessings Kris

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make yourself a narrow trenching bucket. This one is about 6" wide but it's also on a 140 class excavator. You could make something similar but about 4" wide and 18" long.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2 welders and cutting torch. Not sure I would use metal bandsaw. Harden steel damages blades real fast.

Might use grinder and do a spark test for

Hardness of steel.
Band saw would make a clean cut.
George

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I have a lot of things to get done before I get around to running 100a service to pole barn. Now I using 100 ft extension cord.

I have to experiment with 18 inch bucket. I think I could make a shallow 12 inch trench and use plastic conduit.
George

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want a clean cut, you might to try borrow a plasma cutter from a friend. Or maybe you need to buy some more tools to fill up that new man-cave.

Dusty MI
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Geo-TH,In wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:55:45 03/24/20) Thanks. I have a lot of things to get done before I get around to running 100a service to pole barn. Now I using 100 ft extension cord.

I have to experiment with 18 inch bucket. I think I could make a shallow 12 inch trench and use plastic conduit.
George

A quick check of the NEC requires PVC/plastic conduit to have a cover of 18 inches.

craigco
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depending on how your dirt is if a bucket is to narrow it will pack with dirt and not come out with out banging the bucket around to clean it out.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Using a subsoiler shank you could plow it in over the 18 inches deep. Could be put on the same as your bucket does and plow with the hoe. Might want to make 2 passes.

ztrmowers
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: trencher? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes totally agree on knife in, did it years back when ran phone line from house to shop ,used old subsoiler dad had clamped on old piece pipe fed line thru and pulled it from one point to other. what really works slick is boring machine, bored in 7 new runs for geothermal heat runs unit pulled in 8 am gone by 3pm never new he was here. that's one slick machine

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters