Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Harbor freight ratchet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?ve jumped on this one a time or two been a tough ratchet really wish they would make one like it

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sheared the pin off two I?ll probably just buy a new breaker bar and remodify it again

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was the John Deere 3/4 inch breaker bar. This harbor freight has taken quite a bit of abuse since I built it to

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got one set of plugs drilled and tapped going to do the overlapping row tomorrow. No Chester this time but it has in the past .

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I?m not complaining that?s been a tough ratchet and it isn?t
factory I put it together with harbor freight parts and it?s been
tough I?ve put a lot of torque on that ratchet

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I may try that ? Problem I?ve found with harbor freight is that as quick as you hit it with heat they just Disintegrate

K Effective
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with your original opinion that once modified by the owner, all manufacturer warranty is void. Regardless of how slightly changed, you changed the tool, AND by installing a cheater, you used it outside its design basis, and thereby accepted responsibility for future damage.

The sales branch of the manufacturer might indeed replace it for the good will of such an action, but I tend to believe they should not be requested to.

Perhaps it is time to invest in a more robust, larger drive socket set, or some slugging wrenches, or a hydro-torq setup. Or, keep buying what you broke and get decent service from it, it sounds like it lasted a pretty decent time with rough use.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:17 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not supposed to use ratchets for breaker bars for a reason.I have a 1 inch drive breaker bar might break the adapter on a 3/4 drive socket but won't break the bar.

rlp in Co.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine was a harbour freight one too. If I remember correctly, I dunked it in a bucket of used oil after I welded it. Harbour Freight is really good about refunds or replacement, but I was putting WAY too much torque on it when it broke. I wouldn't feel right about taking it back. I bought a 1 inch breaker bar for the 1 1/8 inch nuts on the adapters for the duals on my tractor. Sounds like you need one too! Now that I'm old, I finally have almost all the tools I need. Ha

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-RLP in Co. wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:48:47 03/26/20) Mine was a harbour freight one too. If I remember correctly, I dunked it in a bucket of used oil after I welded it. Harbour Freight is really good about refunds or replacement, but I was putting WAY too much torque on it when it broke. I wouldn't feel right about taking it back. I bought a 1 inch breaker bar for the 1 1/8 inch nuts on the adapters for the duals on my tractor. Sounds like you need one too! Now that I'm old, I finally have almost all the tools I need. Ha

" I was putting WAY too much torque on it when it broke. I wouldn't feel right about taking it back."

I agree with you.

In 50 years of wrenching I've had few wrenches break when "used as intended" or "used reasonably"

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a set of combination of wrenches from harbor freight just so I could modify them and as quick you would touch it with a torch it would turn into a puddle. But this one might be different I haven?t tried one in a long time

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob that?s about how my experience has been the only tools
I?ve broken are ones I?ve used way Beyond their limits this
one I didn?t have a cheater on it when it broke but it has had
one on it before . I was doing lug nuts when it broke they are
hard on things because when the nut gives it causes it to jerk
and that?s when it breaks . I use to have a 36 inch Matco 1/2
inch flex head and that thing was tough as boiled owl

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor freight ratchet Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I carry a 3/4 ratchet and breaker bar on the truck but this one is my go to wrench for about everything and I guess it finally had all it could take

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our fast shipping, low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters