Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Haybine 488

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom upton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes I have a 479 which is similar. keep good guards and knife on it, and grease on wobble box every couple acres. You can cut hay at anywhere up to about 4 MPH. If they have one fault it is the push bar in front of machine will bend back into reel in heavy hay. I and many others have welded a reinforcing bar across in front of it and your good to go. Makes a real nice windrow of nicely conditioned hay.

jhwis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know they have wobble box issues. My neighbor has one. It is a good machine though. 200 acres is a lot, but if you got time it is ok. I ran a JD 1219 which is similar for 25 years for the old man and then bought one myself. I loved it. We did prolly the same number of acres per year. It takes time for sure. I have a discbine now and wouldn't go back to a haybine because of time. I did like cutting with my 1219 though. I knew it better than I knew my wife... don't tell her that.

ztrmowers
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

why are you so negative of the disc unit I ran one for years, did very nice job and boy could you mow

2510Paul
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I needed something a few years ago and didn't want to spend the money for a discbine. As usual I over researched it, yup 488 hands down. They still make them, that tells you something. And parts should be available.

Turns out I didn't it after all. It was not hard to sell.

Paul

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

$250 bucks ! How lucky can a guy get ?!?

MNfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Tom! Are you using stub guards on yours or regular guards?

MNfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies, I greatly appreciate it!

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jhwis wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:19:55 04/01/20) I know they have wobble box issues. My neighbor has one. It is a good machine though. 200 acres is a lot, but if you got time it is ok. I ran a JD 1219 which is similar for 25 years for the old man and then bought one myself. I loved it. We did prolly the same number of acres per year. It takes time for sure. I have a discbine now and wouldn't go back to a haybine because of time. I did like cutting with my 1219 though. I knew it better than I knew my wife... don't tell her that.

They don't have "wobble box issues", it's just that the wobble boxes need lube every few hours. It's not a huge deal to grease them twice a day. They do wear out, but so does every other sickle drive system over time. If they are well cared for they last a long, long time. If they aren't, not so much. I prefer the Hesston drive myself, but NH has a lot going for it.

tom upton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Haybine 488 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

regular

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters