Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Clean and stop rust

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted in NE-OH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is wd-40 a good cleaner and rust preventative for drills, lathe tools, and hand tools. Needs to be nonsticky and not attract dust?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NO

JGayman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fluid Film

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never used Fluid Film, but I can speak from experience -- NO on the WD-40!

Another product that's been around for decades is Boeshield T9. It was developed for use on woodworking blades and bits, so is formulated to not leave residue on wood.
https://boeshield.com/

I've never used that product either, but like Fluid Film, have read many rave reviews over the years. Appears to be available on Amazon and at Home Depot.

Not sure Boeshield T9 is meant to "clean" rust. You might want to research that further, as with any product.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fluid Film is great stuff,but it will attract dust. All I know about WD 40 as a preventative is that the vet sprays his dehorners with it when he's done with a job.

dahlin
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old its good to see that you are still kicking.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No on the WD-40 ! I tried it on stuff before and it rusted. I ended up thinning some hyd. oil with kerosene and putting it into a spray bottle. It worked way better.

WAYNE-N-TEXAS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think so, but I use it to clean my cook stove. Better than any of the stuff they sell for cleaning it.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LPS #1. No silicone. Spray it on and let it dry a couple of days. It leaves a waxy film but feels dry.

Bill in IN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old style Simoniz or Minwax that doesn"t have silicone. Has benefit of shedding waterand dirt.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, WD-40 does well to protect tools and machinery. Problem is if they are used regularly it's a pain cleaning the oil off. Regularly used tools it's better to keep them in a nearly air tight container

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:31:48 05/22/20) Yes, WD-40 does well to protect tools and machinery. Problem is if they are used regularly it's a pain cleaning the oil off. Regularly used tools it's better to keep them in a nearly air tight container

After Dad died in Arkansas, before returning to MN for a few months, I sprayed down the top of his then-new Rigid table saw with cast iron top, as it already had a couple of small rust spots from non-use and being closed up in the garage. When we returned, the entire top of the saw was rusted and virtually every bit of WD-40 had dried or evaporated. It was a very wet time with lots of rain, so humidity was extremely high.

I'll use WD-40 for squeaks, but never again to protect against rust, especially if meant for long-term protection.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Three things WD-40 is not: it is not Lubricant, it is not a preservative, and it is not a penetrating oil. It drys to absolutely nothing in a few days. Water displacement ? yes. Jim

flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This doesn't answer the original post but for a case like yours Butchers wax works great for cast iron table tops for Table saws, Planers or Jointers I kept a Table Saw and a planer on an open porch for 3 yrs. and just kept waxing them after each use,no rust and nice smooth and slippery surface. Now that they are in my cellar I still wax once in a while.

Mule Meat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Clean and stop rust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look into something called splatter shield. It is used by welders to keep splatter from sticking to metal surfaces and weld beads from rusting. 3M WELD-THRU coating is one brand. It is alittle costly. But it works.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters