Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Then how about this?

These are the stainless cotters on my upper arms and when wrapped around the pin , the cotter serves as its own washer.

Also shirt sleeves and finders don't get caught or cut by the ends of the cotter pins. I know cause it has happened more than once. :)

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tall T wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:00:57 05/22/20) Then how about this?

These are the stainless cotters on my upper arms and when wrapped around the pin , the cotter serves as its own washer.

Also shirt sleeves and finders don't get caught or cut by the ends of the cotter pins. I know cause it has happened more than once. :)

All right...all right, I give up. Putting the lynch pin in the big hole prevents that pin from ever sliding out so...problem solved.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Assuming the cotter pin in the same spot on the other side is the same age, maybe the pin that rusted away missed the plating process?

If they are virtually never removed, why have a roll pin on one side and a cotter on the bother side anyways?

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DoubleO7 wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:34:11 05/22/20) Assuming the cotter pin in the same spot on the other side is the same age, maybe the pin that rusted away missed the plating process?

If they are virtually never removed, why have a roll pin on one side and a cotter on the bother side anyways?

I guess the makers assumed that it would be easier for the purchaser to just slide the large pin in and stick the supplied cotter pin in there instead of having to drive in a roll pin.

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Caryc wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:18:29 05/22/20)
All right...all right, I give up. Putting the lynch pin in the big hole prevents that pin from ever sliding out so...problem solved.

Earlier today before I ever saw your competitive response; i.e., "All right all right, I give up", as though I'm being forceful or underestimating you . . . I thought to myself . . .

I doubt very much I will ever hear even a fragment of a response like, "A stainless pin, that's an idea" or whatever . . . any positive acknowledgement at all and sure enough you didn't disappoint.

What do you post for if you're going to snap at someone who mistakenly thinks you are actually looking for solutions?
I shall not venture to contribute to your posts any more.

I'm outta here,
T

And please spare me any specious rationale for your ignorant
response.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will pick up some stainless but I am not gonna wind them around just to make it purity...

tractorguy2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a cross between an Oliver 3pt and a Case eagle hitch.

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,
The real reason I wrapped them around was cause I drew blood on one of them while I was replacing my leveler box.. :wink:

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hobo,

Like Magnum PI used to say, I know what you're thinkin'.
Why not just zip cut them shorter? :D

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On a tractor 1/8 and smaller yes wind them up 3/16 are more they hold enoufh spring tension no need to...

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tall T wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:56:28 05/22/20)
Caryc wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:18:29 05/22/20)

Earlier today before I ever saw your competitive response; i.e., "All right all right, I give up", as though I'm being forceful or underestimating you . . . I thought to myself . . .

I doubt very much I will ever hear even a fragment of a response like, "A stainless pin, that's an idea" or whatever . . . any positive acknowledgement at all and sure enough you didn't disappoint.

What do you post for if you're going to snap at someone who mistakenly thinks you are actually looking for solutions?
I shall not venture to contribute to your posts any more.

I'm outta here,
T

And please spare me any specious rationale for your ignorant
response.

OK, I apologize if you think I sounded that way. You kept talking about putting a washer in there. But, I thought I told you there was no place to put a washer way before this. That's why I bothered to take the last picture, to prove there was no place for a washer. Sorry you took it badly.

Stainless steel cotter pins are a good idea and I think I'll pick up some next time I go to town. The new pins I used after the rusted ones are from one of those Harbor Freight boxes with all assorted size cotter pins. But, I'm sure they are not stainless.

I could actually go nuts and drill out those holes in the large pin to accept a roll like is used on the other side. But I reckon the large pins are hardened and why bother to do all that, as I said putting the lynch pin in the large hole along with the cotter pin assures me that the large pin is not going to attempt an escape again. Again...my apologies.

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well said!

I can see where the washer thing doesn't really apply here like it does with the movement of small control rod linkage and cotters.

When I posted that pic of my stainless cotters I was thinking that you could see I didn't use washers myself . . . but I was speculatin' about what might have happened to your cotter pin like maybe it had been sheered off.

Apology accepted. :)

Terry

Caryc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tall T wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:13:01 05/22/20)
Well said!

I can see where the washer thing doesn't really apply here like it does with the movement of small control rod linkage and cotters.

When I posted that pic of my stainless cotters I was thinking that you could see I didn't use washers myself . . . but I was speculatin' about what might have happened to your cotter pin like maybe it had been sheered off.

Apology accepted. :)

Terry

Thank you. It's still a mystery but since I saw the condition of the other remaining pin I still have to go with rust as the culprit. But even if the legs rusted off, how did the pin work itself "up" out of the hole? Still gonna' get those stainless cotter pins.

Tall T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You wrote:
Thank you. It's still a mystery but since I saw the condition of the other remaining pin I still have to go with rust as the culprit. But even if the legs rusted off, how did the pin work itself "up" out of the hole? Still gonna' get those stainless cotter pins.

You said it was still a mystery
now you've done it
got me back on the case after firing me.

So I'm thinking . . . maybe all that side to side sway
is causing the Fast Hitch casting to be tapping the cotter pin over a long while, eventually sheering a rusty one off at the edges of the big pin hole.

Hobo saw the curls as only pretty
but when you bend that hard stainless around
it can actually act as a shock absorber sharing the pressure on working part of the cotter pin where it goes through the big pin and gets beat against the Fast Hitch hub. That's what I meant before when I said that this hard stainless cotter pin can be it's own stress dissipating washer, if you curl the long ends around -- and even bent those curls toward the hub.

Once those cotter pins are in do you just leave them in?

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: A warning about Pat's Quick Hitches Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you had Pats you would understand they can easily be removed and installed and you can go back to the conventional system if needed... I am sure my Pats have a better fit than an N because my lift arms are thicker...

I keep a 1000 lb. counter weight on my bota most all the time so they get a damm good test every time I use it : )

This one was made for another tractor with cat 2 pins that's why they are riding high in the pats U it was a test only pix....

The blue barrel is mine...

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters