Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

640 lift

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:04 am    Post subject: 640 lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sure the answer is here somewhere but after the update I can't find how to search archives. Ford 640. Replaced cam follower pin and adjusted the lift a couple months ago. It worked great for a couple weeks. Now it will lift smooth with a light implement, but anything heavy it has issues. With heavy implements it won't lift at all until you pull lever all the way up past the stop. Then it will lift until it almost hits the fenders. If you move lever down at all it slams implement to the ground. Worst is the tedder-rake, 950 lbs and sometimes wont lift at all unless you push the little draft lever down. Not down and locked , just move it a quarter way down and then it will lift. But when you let off it drifts down quickly. Really hard to cut and rake hay. Fluid is full. Could the new cam follower pin fall out?? Thanks for any help. Using the tractor today on a fence job in the boonies so I won't have cell service until later this afternoon. Hopefully yall can come up with a fix for me! Got several days of nice weather starting tomorrow and need to cut hay with the sickle mower. Narrow gates at new field and haybine won't fit.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: 640 lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like it is in draft control that is used for plowing.

What position is the draft lever in. Does moving it make a difference.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 640 lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Grandpa love wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:04:10 06/10/20) I'm sure the answer is here somewhere but after the update I can't find how to search archives. Ford 640. Replaced cam follower pin and adjusted the lift a couple months ago. It worked great for a couple weeks. Now it will lift smooth with a light implement, but anything heavy it has issues. With heavy implements it won't lift at all until you pull lever all the way up past the stop. Then it will lift until it almost hits the fenders. If you move lever down at all it slams implement to the ground. Worst is the tedder-rake, 950 lbs and sometimes wont lift at all unless you push the little draft lever down. Not down and locked , just move it a quarter way down and then it will lift. But when you let off it drifts down quickly. Really hard to cut and rake hay. Fluid is full. Could the new cam follower pin fall out?? Thanks for any help. Using the tractor today on a fence job in the boonies so I won't have cell service until later this afternoon. Hopefully yall can come up with a fix for me! Got several days of nice weather starting tomorrow and need to cut hay with the sickle mower. Narrow gates at new field and haybine won't fit.
The reason it lifts when you push on the Draft lever is that by that 'push' you are compressing the spring on the postion control mechanism, thus pushing the control arm toward the 'lift' position. You need to find the reason that touch control can not push as far into 'lift' position. Most likely cause in mal-adjustment, but some part could be bent.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 640 lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adjusted the lift yesterday. 99.99% sure
it's right. Still no good today. Really
doesn't like a sickle mower. Will lift
and get stuck. Then suddenly slam to
ground. Wont stop until it's all the way
up.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: 640 lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree with earlier posters. Cam follower pin/mis adjustment, draft control, etc.

If you replace the cam follower pin and adjust the draft and position control linkages precisely as directed in the FO-20 manual (alternative procedures) the adjustments will be quite close.

Be CERTAIN to replace the cam follower pin if there is ANY perceptible wear.

Dean

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: 640 lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dean. New cam follower pin. 99.99% sure adjustments are correct. Could be an issue with mower? And way it hooks up? Re adjusted yesterday. No change.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 640 lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would see how lift performs with nothing connected to top link.

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 640 lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR. Lifts mower fine if cutter arm is
up. Only has issues with it down in
cutting position.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: 640 lift Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Grandpa love wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:39:34 06/12/20) JMOR. Lifts mower fine if cutter arm is
up. Only has issues with it down in
cutting position.
I am not familiar with that mower hookup, but if I were a gambling person, I would bet that it is getting a Draft link input thru the top link rocker/spring assy and interfering with the Position control. It only needs a fraction of an inch to foul it. If you study the internal linkage, you will see that when in Position control, the Draft input isn't truly "disconnected", but rather simply positioned in a 'dead zone' where it doesn't provide an input. But if the input is large enough from the draft control plunger, it will in effect re- connect the draft input. In the picture, you can see the Draft control swivel (#957E692) is sliding freely on Draft Control Bushing (NCA691A). If and when swivel is not in this 'free floating" position (swivel NOT contacting C or D) and contacts end of bushing, then you have a Draft Control input to the control valve.
This pix is 8N, but in this regard, is same and I don't have a good pix of this swivel for your 641. The second picture shows a small "gap" & when this gap does not exist, you have a draft control input & I expect that your "slam" is at a point where Draft input goes away suddenly. It should not have ever existed, but due to perhaps bent linkage, odd (to me) mower connections, whatever, the draft in put is at some point occurring.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters