Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

2424 - how much Hy-Tran?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: 2424 - how much Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Time to change the transmission fluid on my tractor and I am not sure how much it needs. First time I did it I am pretty sure there was much more than 5 gallons in it, but its been a long time. My IT shop manual says 5 gallons, so that is how much I put back in. I since got a reprint of an owners manual that says the same, but has a note:

"5 gallons without front mounted hydraulic pump or draft control"
"14 gallons with front mounted hydraulic pump without draft control"
"17 gallons with front mounted hydraulic pump and draft control"

The pump runs off the side of the engine, just behind the fan. Is that what is meant by "front mount" The tractor originally had something run off the front of the crankshaft, as the grille screen had a round hole cut it in - i assumed that would have been the front mount pump.

And pretty sure it has draft control - it has a small 2nd lever next to the the 3 pt lever. And it looks like the top link has a large spring and some kind of sensor behind it.

How much do I need? Have I really been running it with less than half the required fluid all these years?

Thanks!

Tim

wore out
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 2424 - how much Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"The pump runs off the side of the engine, just behind the fan. Is that what is meant by "front mount"?"

No, you don't have a "front-mount" pump.

A "front-mount" pump (AKA, a "stinger pump) would be an external pump, mounted ahead of the engine and driven with a short driveshaft from the front of the engine crankshaft.

Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: 2424 - how much Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK - so that means 5 gallons, even though I have draft control, right?

wore out
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 2424 - how much Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a stupid error or typo in the I&T manual. TYPICAL.

AFAIK, if a "424" was equipped with a 3-point it had draft control.

I have a "424" and need to change the transmission and the hydraulic oil.

I will look at the original Operator's Manual I have tomorrow and see what that has to say on the topic.

warren woodrow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 2424 - how much Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Struggled with that wording for years and did not know how much to put in mine . I agree that front mounted does NOT refer to the pump on the right hand side of engine . Mine has draft control [ and of course 3 point hitch ] I run 5 gallons .

Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2424 - how much Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Warren - was hoping you would respond. I am gonna go with 5 gallons of Rotella HD hydraulic fluid. It supposedly meets HY-Tran specs and I can get it a TSC with a couple unused gift cards I had.

I think last time I used heavy 80 or 90 weight gear oil.

Tim

warren woodrow
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 2424 - how much Hy-Tran? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Tim in New York wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:07:33 06/30/20) Thanks Warren - was hoping you would respond. I am gonna go with 5 gallons of Rotella HD hydraulic fluid. It supposedly meets HY-Tran specs and I can get it a TSC with a couple unused gift cards I had.

I think last time I used heavy 80 or 90 weight gear oil.

Tim

Hy Tran will be great . I run 303 with no problems . Used to severely overfill it due to confusion and thought i had bad seals it leaked so much !!!!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters