Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Motor pulley

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phillip Tibbetts
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am making up a portable air compressor that is gas engine powered. The compressor head has a flat pulley with 6 grooves that take a belt about
1/2 inch wide. I need a pulley that type for the gas engine about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter. I've checked everywhere and cannot find
out what the proper terminology for this type pulley is. I know they are used frequently on air factory compressors. Any help will be
appreciated. Thank you in advance

Mark-Mi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

serpentine belt
belt

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think those are called "micro rib" belts.

I hope that works for you with the gas engine. They are prone to throw with an electric motor, not sure how it will work with the gas engine.

The selection is limited, might want to find the available length belt before mounting everything.
Micro Rib

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, after seeing the price of the micro-groove belts I think I would see about getting a v-belt groove machined in the compressor pulley. It wouldn't need to be full depth with that much circumference.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Phillip Tibbetts,

As Steve mentioned, I would look for available belts after you find the pulley. But even before you look for the belt, I would also install a belt tensioner. Takes a lot of power to turn the compressor, especially at the higher end of the set pressure,. This will also help keeping the belt from slopping, and it may not need further tensioning adjustments,

Guido.

gajack
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sir, might I suggest McMaster-Carr catalog.
Might be able to adapt an idler pulley from an
auto engine. good luck, jac

Centerplate
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Phillip Tibbetts wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:54:25 06/29/20) I am making up a portable air compressor that is gas engine powered. The compressor head has a flat pulley with 6 grooves that take a belt about
1/2 inch wide. I need a pulley that type for the gas engine about 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inches in diameter. I've checked everywhere and cannot find
out what the proper terminology for this type pulley is. I know they are used frequently on air factory compressors. Any help will be
appreciated. Thank you in advance

6 sheave

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am thinking your compressor has a multi belt pulley and the spokes are fan blades to push ait over the compressor fins.
The "flat pulley" is just extra rim width to accommodate the end shape of the blades.
Probly takes "A" or"B" belts.

If the belt spacing is too much for one engine pulley, you can like stack several individual pulleys on the drive shaft.

Mount both engine and compressor on a common base with bolt slots and a pair of push bolts to push engine base.
To adjust belt tension.

DoubleO7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

P.S.
If the compressor takes six belts to transfer enough power to run it, how much horsepower is the engine?

Duner Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Phillip, take a look at this

http://www.industrialbearings.com.au/uploads/catalogs/naismithvbeltsvpulleys_1327992533.pdf

My 2 compressors use J belts.

CenTex Farmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try "Poly-V" pulley or sheave in your searches.

I used to have an old Speed-Air compressor that used a belt like that. It's still going, I gave it to my Dad.

Phil Tibbetts
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Belt is about 9/16 wide and pulley has 6 small v-grooves the belt matches. I can find the belt but no pulley. I need a 3/4 bore about 2 1/2
to 3 inches OD.

Phillip Tibbetts
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well my brother-in-law gave me a correct pulley 5/8 bore, but I need to rebore it and cut a new keyway for 3/4 shaft.

old_bc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this what you are looking for?
Micro V Belt Pulleys

Phil Tibbetts
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Motor pulley Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all for the replies and info. I am going to bore out the 5/8 one my brother-in-law gave me.It came off a junked electric motor powered compressor.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters