Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Incorporate Sorghum-Sudangrass?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tree-Farmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Incorporate Sorghum-Sudangrass? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have about 20 acres that I planted Sorghum-Sudangrass last year, to improve the soil and add organic matter, in Northern Missouri.

What would you recommend to incorporate the 5 foot tall grass/plants?

It’s still standing, so I need to disk or mow it, or something.
Should I brush cut or mow it before I disk it?
If I cut it, then let it decompose for 2 or 3 weeks, then disk it, would 1 disking be enough?

Or just disk it twice? With time between each disking?

Does it matter? Is there a preferred way to help decompose?

I think I’ll plant Sorghum-Sudangrass again this year on that land, to improve the soil again.

Thank you!

SETX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Incorporate Sorghum-Sudangrass? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you planted Sudan last year and it’s still standing it’s gonna be stemmy as hell. I would mow it down and disc it under.

Plant soybeans. They won’t make a crop but the deer will love it plus they put nitrogen back in the soil.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Incorporate Sorghum-Sudangrass? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a neighbor who is one of the best organic farmer's in the USA, as far as i am concerned, he mow's it down before it goes to seed, let it dry out and starts to disk it in then seed a cover crop on it for winter, but me i would like to plow down some sudan grass standing about 6 feet tall, that the way i did it!

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Incorporate Sorghum-Sudangrass? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would mow it, plow the greens under, plant soybeans and plow them under. My dad would do 2 crops of soybeans out of the bin let them green up, then plow both under.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Incorporate Sorghum-Sudangrass? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So then the next year you seeded corn on that ground, that would be almost to rich for wheat !!!

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Incorporate Sorghum-Sudangrass? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd disk them in green they'll rot quicker,this time of year if you're building soil then plant Buckwheat with a good application of a mineralizer like
Planters II or Sea 90,lime if needed.After the buckwheat goes to seed disk it in and it'll come right back with a new crop about Sept or so plant Crimson Clover with something like turnips.

Charlie M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Incorporate Sorghum-Sudangrass? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad used to grow that stuff in the 60's to chop for milk cows when the pastures were used up. Cows will milk like crazy on that stuff. It was my job to go chop a load every night. I was about 12 years old at the time.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Incorporate Sorghum-Sudangrass? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, corn needs a lot of N

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Incorporate Sorghum-Sudangrass? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My old 642 ih plow did a nice job no coulters
Plowing

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Incorporate Sorghum-Sudangrass? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters