Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Deere 105 Chaffer fragged

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CapayMiller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was harvesting a small field of weedy wheat today when I noticed a lot of straw and unthreshed heads spilling into the grain tank. Since I had just finished the plot, I pulled up to the barn to take a look before unloading. We'd had some problems adjusting the chaffer fingers several weeks ago, but I took another look yesterday (after removing the rear bolts on the chaffer extension) and all seemed to work fine.

Long story long, the chaffer had pretty much destroyed itself. The front of the frame had broken completely, and distorted the chaffer into a V. When I pulled it out, it had clearly done it before since there was more welding rod than channel holding the frame together. This time, though, 1/2 of the finger assemblies were snapped in the middle, and clearly need replacing. I can post some photos if they ever download from my phone to iCloud.

The previous owner told me he'd had to weld the frame a couple of times (wish I'd known!) and had heard of a shop in Kansas or thereabouts that made replacement chaffers to fit the 95/105. Anyone know who that might be?

Other than finding a donor machine (not likely out here in CA), any other suggestions? Are there same-dimension chaffers I can substitute, or equivalent parts (fingers) so I can fab up a replacement? I have to believe there are enough well-loved 105's out there that have had the same breakdown.

Thanks!
- David

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A good, unwelded frame will be hard to find. Deere chaffers are no longer available... I bought one of the last ones about 20 years ago. In 2012, we had an issue with our 105 chaffer, and I went looking for a different one. I could find no supplier who offered one for a 105, but a manufacturer of air foils would make an air foil. Not long before that, manufacturers would make things for such combines... I'm not a big conspiracy theory person, but it seems that consolidation in the aftermarket parts business (Like A &I being owned by Deere, and Lowen being no longer independent) really reduced parts availability for 05 combines. Not many years before, Lowen had built me a new concave for our 105 and seemed glad to do it. In 2012, they seemed in a hurry to get me off the phone.

I did learn that the chaffer from a 1460 IH is very similar in size- about 1" narrower, and the length very similar if you use the main 1460 chaffer and not any extension. You will not have the extra extension in the 105 in this scenario, and you would need to use some wood or aluminum to shim the 1460 chaffer to fit the 105 frame.

Back to 2012... it needed work, corn was $7 a bushel, and I wanted to be done. We rented a 9500, and bought one that fall. I fixed the 105 with a used chaffer, put it in the shed, and used a bit a year ago.Occasionally I get the urge, but the 9500 is nicer in about every way possible.

If you are looking for used parts, I did stumble onto a complete 105 gas hydro at Jaekel Brothers Salvage in Jefferson, WI this spring. The chaffer seemed complete in that one.

Good luck in your parts search, I wish I was more help.

CapayMiller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful reply, Coonie Minnie. That was my fear- seeing the number of welds on that frame I figured a) this looks like a common weak point of the 105, and b) there aren't any good replacements available.

So the next question becomes whether I can find replacements for the chaffer fingerboards? With those, I should be able to fabricate a new chaffer to the same dimensions as the old one. The IH 1460 sub sounds possible as well... if I can find one. I'll start looking.

- David

wore out
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-CapayMiller wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:35:08 07/25/20) Was harvesting a small field of weedy wheat today when I noticed a lot of straw and unthreshed heads spilling into the grain tank. Since I had just finished the plot, I pulled up to the barn to take a look before unloading. We'd had some problems adjusting the chaffer fingers several weeks ago, but I took another look yesterday (after removing the rear bolts on the chaffer extension) and all seemed to work fine.

Long story long, the chaffer had pretty much destroyed itself. The front of the frame had broken completely, and distorted the chaffer into a V. When I pulled it out, it had clearly done it before since there was more welding rod than channel holding the frame together. This time, though, 1/2 of the finger assemblies were snapped in the middle, and clearly need replacing. I can post some photos if they ever download from my phone to iCloud.

The previous owner told me he'd had to weld the frame a couple of times (wish I'd known!) and had heard of a shop in Kansas or thereabouts that made replacement chaffers to fit the 95/105. Anyone know who that might be?

Other than finding a donor machine (not likely out here in CA), any other suggestions? Are there same-dimension chaffers I can substitute, or equivalent parts (fingers) so I can fab up a replacement? I have to believe there are enough well-loved 105's out there that have had the same breakdown.

Thanks!
- David

Are you familiar with non-adjustable "air foil" chaffers? Should work well in wheat.

At one time they were all the rage around here, and some for 105's may still survive as they are not as "delicate"/wear-prone as the OEM adjustable chaffers.

https://www.harvestservices.ca/air-foil-chaffer/

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The IH 1460 one is (or was) available aftermarket. And I do think you could make your own sieve with various components.

I had toyed with the idea of making a frame from stainless steel. It would have been stronger.

One last thing... we were told a long time ago by a knowledgible Deere combine guy to change the rubber bushings that hold the frame every couple years. They get hard, and then help hammer the whole system to bits. If you are fortunate enough to get going, replace the rubber bushings.

GreenEnvy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you even able to still get the bushings? Got a 95 and 55 that need some.

CapayMiller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've struck out so far on 105 chaffers. I do see IH 1460 chaffers available- at least All State Ag has the Harvest Services airfoil chaffer available (non-adjustable). I just spoke with a tech advisor from Harvest Services, and he said if they did have an adjustable chaffer close the the 105 dimensions (48 7/16 x 48" for the main chaffer, according to the manual, 60 3/4" with extension) it would cost close to $1000. Unh uh.

So, coonie minnie- do you know of anyone modifying the IH 1460 chaffer to fit? According to the Harvest Services guy, the airfoil chaffer should give better separation for small grains, but can't be used for corn or beans (not that I am likely to harvest either). He also said they shouldn't be used with the chaffer extension, since that would disrupt the laminar airflow the airfoil chaffers are supposed to produce.

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You'd have to do your own mods. As I mentioned above, Jaekel Bros in Fort Atkinson, WI had a 105 with a decent chaffer last month. It is not somewhere like tractor parts ASAP, mostly it is bring your own tools and take it out yourself. Not sure if they ship, but a phone call might answer that . 920 563 3447.

CapayMiller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give them a call tomorrow to find out. I was also told yesterday about a couple of derelict 105's nearby that were being stripped for parts, and may still have their chaffers. I have to find them, and will keep my fingers crossed.

- David

wheat country
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you ever find a Chaffer and shoe you could use on your JD 105 combine?
I think I could fix you up with the parts you need but the freight to get them to you might get pricey. 785 four five two 1365 would work to get in touch with me if you have any interest.

CapayMiller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for getting back to me, sorry I haven't replied sooner.

The options I've found so far are:
1) pay a fortune for a new airfoil chaffer for a NH and modify it to fit the JD 105
2) keep searching for a couple of rumored parts machines sitting in a field 40 miles away
3) convince my neighbor to sell me the chaffer out of their retired 105... without having to buy the entire machine
4) figure out how to fabricate my own replacement, which doesn't look too difficult if I'm able to find replacement fingerboards and wires

Do you have parts available? Or are you suggesting a newly-made replacement?

I'll try giving you a call later. What's your time zone, and how late can I call and not bother you?

- David

fdt860
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last automn, Abylene Machine had a sale with plastic fingers chaffers. A friend bought an 1660 one for $250 and is happy with the quality. Not sure if they will do the same kind of sale again, but this surely was a bargain.
THe plastic fingers chaffers is lighter and should create less stress on the sieves frame.

CapayMiller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Deere 105 Chaffer fragged Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the followup, ftd860.

I heard good things about the fixed airfoil chaffers, and got in touch with Harvest Services in Saskatchewan, who seem to be one of the main manufacturers of both plastic fingers and airfoil chaffers. They said they no longer make them
for 105's, unfortunately. They'll sell me one that fits an IH 1460 that I can shim up to fit the 105 rails, but are asking close to $1000 for it. That's about what the whole machine is worth, so I'm going to keep looking for alternatives.

If Abilene Machine or someone else was selling fingers alone, I could probably fabricate my own chaffer to size without much effort. But if they have a regular autumn sale, I may wait to see if the price for 1460/1660 chaffers comes
down to something more reasonable.

In the meantime, I'll continue scouring the countryside around here in search of old green combines sitting abandoned in people's fields.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters