Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 4000 SOS Clutch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldford647986
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1964 ford 4000 Gas with the Select-O-Speed. I have never had an issue with this tractor before but when baling hay last week I clicked down a gear and the tractor just stopped and the PTO disengaged, I have no movement in any gear at all and no PTO. I disengaged the axle and pulled it to my shop to split it figuring the torque limiting clutch let go. Now that its split and have removed the clutch it doesn't look as bad as I expected. on the pressure plate and flywheel there is signs of slipping but the disc is relatively intact still. Is this what one looks like worn out or do i need to dig deeper into the transmission? really don't want to put it it back together and it not work and also don't want to have to tear into the SOS if i don't need to. pictures attached for reference.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Whaty do the splines on the input shaft look like?

Dean

oldford647986
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Splines are in great shape no damage to them.

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your symptoms are a classic "stripped splines" case. Since that did not happen, what about the riveted hub in the center of the disc? Is it still tight? Your problem is certainly not the normal slippage you see on the clutch surfaces.

If the hub is good, I'm going to guess that something broke inside your pump, causing a sudden and complete loss of pressure. In hindsight, a pressure test should have been done before splitting the tractor.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What Bern said, pressure test should have been done. Neighbor had one that stopped the same way, his had one of the steel lines break apart inside.

crankyfranky
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dieseltech wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:10:13 07/28/20) What Bern said, pressure test should have been done. Neighbor had one that stopped the same way, his had one of the steel lines break apart inside.

can you build an adaptor and fasten the transmission into a make shift frame and spin the transmission with an electric motor or another tractor to essentially make a test stand so you can diagnose it outside the tractor??? i have seen this done somewhere.

oldford647986
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea should have done it prior to the split. Disc and input shaft are fine. I'm going to pull the top cover tomorrow and see if there is anything obvious before I break it down anymore.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you can! Arthur's Tractors uses one.

oldford647986
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok I checked the disc and shaft all is good. I pulled the rope cover just to see anything obvious which I didnt. Is there anything i could check or just put it back together and perform pressure tests?

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Oldford647986 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:20:01 07/30/20) I pulled the rope cover

rope cover????

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry NCKS wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:06:39 08/01/20)
CVPost-Oldford647986 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:20:01 07/30/20) I pulled the rope cover

rope cover????

Probably mis-typed top as rop and auto-correct kicked in.

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 4000 SOS Clutch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sean in PA wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:17:28 08/01/20)

Probably mis-typed top as rop and auto-correct kicked in.

Yes! One can assume that. But I believe it's always better to know than to assume.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters