Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Back to the 560D valve train....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like I'm about done hauling manure & should be back to working on the 560 this weekend. My question is, which valves can I gauge when the engine is set to TDC? The manual indicates to check the lash on one cylinder at a time, done with the firing order. If you look at the push rods, only the intake on three & exhaust on four are pushed open. So, can I gauge all the cylinders except those two? Is there some detail I'm missing where that isn't a good idea?

Thanks,
Mike

kevinj54
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just google - ih d282 valve adjustment

and you will get the IH PROCEDURE

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the proper and most exact way to set valves is to follow the firing order and do each cyl in that order at TDC on compression. but here is the other way you are wanting....get #1 on TDC on compression, then adjust these 6 valves 123 5 7 9.
then get #6 on TDC on comp. and do the other 6 4 6 8 10 11 12. set to .027 hot.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

to answer your question you can only adjust the 2 valves for each cyl starting with #1 cyl then 53642 in that order set those valves, only 2 at a time!

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea set her for TDC on #1 and you do 1-2-3-5-7-9 then ya turn it till she comes back up on TDC #6 one complete turn and you do 4- 6 -8- 10- 11- 12 . All done , NOW word to the wise here look real close at the end of the rocker arm where it makes contact with the valve stem , they ware off center and if you go a just stuff the fleer gauge between the rocker arm and the valve stem you will get a FALSE valve set you have to hold off to the one side a bit . I have Skinny feeler gauge that i made up and you set them to the .027 do not worry about getting it to running them as the HOT set is anything above ROOM TEMP and wright now i think we are above ROOM TEMP.

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ah! Just the method I was looking for. What's with those rocker arms being off center? Are there weak springs on the rocker arm shaft or is it just a poor design? Can't imagine it comes from wear. My 560 has just a hair over 2400 hrs on it. On the other hand, that is a lot of work done by the lifters already. So..... ?

Mike

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the difference between the two methods of setting? Does it not do the exact same job? Not being a wise acre here, just increasing my knowledge & skills.

Mike

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the IH manual (NOT I&T) & understand the IH procedure. There was this thought in the back of my head that there was a different way of going
about setting lash, so I asked. Seems that there is.

Mike

wore out
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice find! What service binder is that in?

Mike

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

in a flat rate shop mechanic's like the simplified procedure cause its faster. both methods do the same thing. if you want to check for your self ... do the simplified method then check with the firing order method. i always do recheck with the firing order method and mark my set valves. and on assembly yes its at room temperature but on a retorque its above that. they are warm to the touch. and there is such a thing as hot and cold settings. i call hot once the engine has been ran for the head retorque and valve resetting. and yes its best to use a narrow gauge not wider than the valve stem.

wore out
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Back to the 560D valve train.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters