Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cradle type round bale feeder

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anybody ever use one of those Tarter cradle type feeders? The ones where you set the bale in them lengthways. I need a new feeder before I wean calves. I didn't figure they could climb in one of those and crap all over the hay and that they could reach all the hay and clean it up so I didn't have to keep throwing it to the outside.

My big concern is that they'll eat the sides out of the bale and the top will slide off in to the manure instead of the feeder. Are they wide enough so they'll catch it or am I right to fear they'll slide and miss?

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bale feeders I used do have a sort of cradle the bale fits into, but also has the slant bar headrail outside of that. Any bale feeder that has a slant bar headrail plus a type of slant bar cradle inside of that works well.....if the cattle pull hay from the inner cradle, it will fall inside the outer slant bar headrail and not on the ground. Plus, smaller cattle won't tend to crawl into it since their head will come up against the bale cradle. While the perfect feeder has yet to be invented, the wastage from one of these is much less than a feeder with only one slant bar headrail and no inner cradle. They are likely twice the money, but having the extra steel means you can readily flip them over to clean out any old hay without damaging it.

Ben

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the one I'm talking about.

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My opinion....and it is what it is....there will be spillage from that style onto the ground when the cattle pull on the hay....and they may reach over the top and pull hay in larger chunks from there, but I have not seen that type here in Ontario.

Ben

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got concerns about it too, but I waste so darned much now from them getting inside and turning it in to a big manure pile from the inside. I've got three that a guy here in Michigan built out of old well pipe. Those are great for cows and larger cattle that can't get in them, but the holes are so big that the calves can climb in and out.

jsborn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rrlund wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:38:35 10/02/20) I've got concerns about it too, the holes are so big that the calves can climb in and out.

Is it possible to add a few extra bars to keep them out ? It seems if it would be it would be worth a try.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought one this morning. I haven't got the calves weaned yet to try it, but it looks like it'll be OK. I don't see any way for a calf to get inside of it, so that's a big plus.

4520BW
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we had one made out of stainless and it worked well. I cut the legs off and use it to feed goats now that we only have 5 feeder and 50 goats. If your in the market for heavy feeders I have a fiend that makes them out of stainless but its a little far from you. (Southern IN)

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We've got a guy up here who makes them out of used well pipe. I have three. They're pretty much indestructible. I had one that one of his cheap help welded up and some of the welds broke, but it's thick enough stuff so that I can easily weld them back up.

MJMJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The style you posted will have waste, but less waste than normal rings. There are several other styles of cradle feeders that allow the hay that the cows drop to fall into an area where they can reach it to eat it, but they can't step on it. I think they usually have the least waste. Most are pretty pricey, but the good ones will last.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My concern is 500 pound calves being able to reach it in one of those fancy cone feeders. I'm hoping their instinct to graze will have
their heads down eating what falls through one of these before it goes to waste. I don't think it's going to fall where they can walk on
it too much. I always have so darned much waste in a regular round feeder from the smallest ones getting right up inside of them and
making a mess. Time will tell. I'll leave the calves out with the cows as long as the weather is as nice as it is now, but I imagine
I'll have them weaned and penned in the next few weeks to try it out.

MJMJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the plus side, I don't see a way for one to get stuck in that one. Of course they've proven me wrong before. I had a 550 lb steer get his head stuck in half a ring last year, in a small mud hole of a corral I penned them up in so I could load them. More of a rodeo than I cared to partake in.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya, if one does manage to get in it and get its feet through, one end tips down by pulling a pin so they can be wrangled out of the end.

bamaray
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought two and gave them away

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cradle type round bale feeder Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not gonna use this one out in the mud for cows. It'll be on concrete with just calves. I hope it works.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters