Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

A Massey 14 rebuild

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A few years ago I rebuilt an MF 14. I found and bought it's twin. Made in '74 (same as my other one) but about 250n tractors newer according to the serial number.

LawnCub
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting, thanks for posting. Nice looking tractor. I would be interested in seeing lots of detailed pictures at the different stages of restoration.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the MF 14 I rebuilt a few years ago. Lots of pics.

Click here

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a MF 16 with 3pt real handy little tractor,surprising how much they will do.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When rebuilding a tractor, It is really handy to have its twin sitting next to it.

LawnCub
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greg, thanks for posting the link I really enjoyed that video.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Monday was wet and windy, and not a good day for painting. I spent the day cleaning up small parts, and making a complete new wiring harness.
Tuesday was a bit better, but still windy. Painting outside presents a lot of problems with wind, dust, and bugs. But ya do what ya gotta do. I did get the motor mounted back in the frame. The dash cowling,(twice) and gas tank.
I have seen these tractors with the front spindles converted to hubs with a 4 bolt rim pattern. I would like to find an extra set of spindles and try this myself, but I am not going to ruin the ones I have, without spares.

gab
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks nice so far. When you get that done maybe you can find one of these commemorative Wheel Horses to do next.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have one of those, but I do have one of these. It is patiently waiting in the shop, to be the next project. I bought it a couple of weeks ago. Hope the weather holds out a little while longer.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not sure what I would do to own one of those commemorative tractors, but I am sure most of it would be illegal.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made a little more progress today. Installed the new wiring harness, dash, and front grill, and a few other small things. The grill will have to come back off when the new hexagon mesh screen gets here. Not sure you can see it in the pic, put that exhaust pipe is chrome. It is actually a 1 1/4 drain pipe from a bathroom sink. I like it. May have to add that to my other Massey. I have been searching the web, (in vain) for chrome wheels to fit this tractor. Depending on the price, that may or may not happen.
I am almost to a stand still. I will be waiting on parts soon. The tin has to come back from the painter. (My nephew, we will see how that works out). I also ordered a new carb, and starter.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Made a little more progress today. Installed fuel lines, filter, and shut off. Put in the new battery and hold down clamp. It fired right up. Must have got that part of the wiring right also. May have to fine tune the carb. If I do, I will take it to my small engine guy and have him do it. Sometimes he just comes here. Ran it for a bit and my worst nightmare, a puddle under the motor. AAARRRGH It's gas. Fuel pump leaking like a sieve. I don't know why, it didn't seem to be leaking when I got it it, but never fear, I have a new one on hand. I ordered it for my other Massey, and never got around to putting it on. This new one is plastic, seems a little rinky dink, but it works, and it does not leak, so I'm good with it. Drove 30 miles to Rural King and bought a new seat. That's where I got my last one. Replaced fluid and filter for the trans, all seems good there. As you can see by the pics, I need to find dust caps for the front wheels. There weren't any. The front bumper is just temporarily stuck on, it has to come back off. The wires you see hanging are for lights. Now I am to the point where I am waiting on parts. The tin work from the painter. The mesh for the front grille. Plastic knobs for the control levers. New tail lights. Waiting a couple days though is alright as my garage floor REALLY needs to be mopped, and things straightened out a bit.

P.S. If anyone has a set of wheel weights for this tractor, I may be interested in buying them

LawnCub
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greg, that tractor is coming along nicely. Really a great looking job you are doing on it. Who made those tractors for MF? I don’t see these come up for sale very often. I have wanted one for some time now but assumed replacement parts would be impossible to find so I have never taken the plunge.

gregww
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They were manufactured by AMF (American Machine & Foundry) in Des Moines Iowa. They show up on Facebook Marketplace occasionally, but most times people want an arm and a leg for them. Sometimes they want more !

click here

LawnCub
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: A Massey 14 rebuild Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply I’ve heard of AMF but didn’t know anything about them. Those are a couple of really nice looking MF-14s you linked to but I didn’t realize those things were gold plated. I don’t believe I can afford to many of them. There is a MF-12 in my area for sale for $300.00 that appears to be all there but it does need a lot of restoring. Suddenly $300.00 doesn’t seem so high but then again it’s a 12 not a 14.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters