Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Combine Pick

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nh8260
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:23 am    Post subject: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So i'm looking at getting a Deere 6600, late model with hydraulic unloading auger and diesel engine or a Gleaner K2 with the same 2 options, both are similar in price but what do you guys think? Both are field ready and the deere comes with two corn heads, a 4 row 30 & 36

GreenEnvy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 6600s were good combines but will be harder to work on then the K2 but it will be twice the combine too. If you want capacity then go for the 6600.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Isn't a K a two/three row machine?

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I’m a Silver guy, but those are 2 very different machines for capacity.

Need to decide if you need to do 20-60 acres with the 2-3 row K, or 100-200 acres with the 4-6 row 6600 in a year.

As wild crazy hobby numbers, I know anything is possible.....

Paul

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What will you be doing- corn- small grain- beans?
What about air conditioning? If you're as old as a lot of us, that becomes an important factor.

tomstractorsandtoys
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go with the 6600. Bigger machine and lots more sold so used parts more available and better dealer support. Dad had an E III Gleaner and went to a 3300 Deere. In corn the Gleaner was about the same but the Deere was much better in small grain. Tom

agonair
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Two very different machines. I have run a 6600. They are a nice machine when running, but if something breaks down, you'll need plenty of patience. They are a bear to work on. It will do more work than the K and yes, parts are available.

The Gleaner is much easier to operate and easier to work on. Parts availability is about the same as the Deere, but less pricey.

Your decision will be based on your current and future needs. The Deere will out work the Gleaner just because it is a larger capacity machine.

Richard G.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After working on Gleaners and now my son has a JD, I hope I never see another Gleaner in my lifetime.
Richard

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Gleaner is newer and must be in better condition to command the same price as the Deere. The Gleaner is much simpler to set operate and repair than the Deere, but the Deere will run circles around a K2 simply due to its capacity. Which fills your current and future needs best will determine your pick.

Ben

DNW in MI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

did the starting problem on your K get solved didn't see how it turned out

nh8260
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was the carburetor, it was way out of adjustment and had a few things wore out in it, i've gotta get it back on this weekend.

nh8260
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a later model K2, has A/C and heat, straw chopper and more options. Don't look like i'm getting the 6600, it is supposed to be traded to another farm for something he has the owner wants. Had a couple questions:

Does the K2's have a way to adjust the concaves in the cab?? Like the 6600 deere has.

Also, are the 4 cylinder diesel engines in the K2 reliable??

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:56 am    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Then you've found a rare, loaded K2. You cannot adjust cylinder concaves from the cab. Cylinder speed-yes. The four cylinder is a great little engine, with way more power than that combine can use, but, it is a hard starter. An electric ether injector is the answer, and that scares a lot of people.

ztrmowers
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i would go 6620 instead of the 6600 and prices are close to same but are not the same machines

Al Baker(pumpman)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Combine Pick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you dont need to run over a lot of acres the Gleaner. If you ever find your self in wet conditions GLEANER. These little light machines almost float. They are very well balanced compared to Deere. Al

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters