Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Generator/welder question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmallb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:35 am    Post subject: Generator/welder question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How big a generator would I need to run a Tombstone, red Lincoln Welder?

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/welder question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It depends on how you will be using the welder.

Maxed out, they need around 50 amps, which is 11,000 watts, a large portable unit.

But, it's very rare (at least I never have) run one that high, usually half that.

So, unless you are doing some extreme heavy welding, you can cat by with a 6000-8000 watt.

Be sure it has a 230v outlet, and you will need to make an adapter cord.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/welder question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might want to look for a Miller Roughneck welder/generator. 3500 watts at idle speed. Welding amps of 180 or 225 depending on vintage. 100% CONTINIOUS duty even at maximum amps welding. Can be used to thaw water pipes. Then you only need one unit. Sold one with 180 amp and Kohler engine for $500.

Billy Shafer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/welder question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Roger and Steve. I am no welder but I know generators. You want to get one with a little more power than you need. Not enough power and you can destroy the unit. If you need a eight get a ten. Less strain on the system.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/welder question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of those Old Lincoln Tombstone AC Buzz Boxes had 50 amp 240 Volt cords and plugs but I never had occasion to weld at the max rate for long periods in which case a 5000/6000 Watt Generator "might" get your by. However if you weld at the max current for long periods then you may need more like a 10000 Watt Genset which is one huge more expensive generator. Of course you need the proper outlet/plug adapters to mate up with the plug on the end of the welder cord.

John T

Gene Davis (Ga.)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/welder question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a tombstone unit and it would make my 8 Kw Winco generator moan above 75 amps and would kill the engine if I set it above 100.

rlp in Co.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Generator/welder question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 6500 watt harbour freight generator and a Lincoln tombstone welder. I tried it at the maximum amps for a couple of minutes just to see if the generator would pull it. It worked ok. The most I ever weld with is 115 amps. I wish that I had bought the smaller 5500 watt generator. This one really sucks the gas!

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/welder question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-RLP in Co. wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:32:00 10/16/20) I have a 6500 watt harbour freight generator and a Lincoln tombstone welder. I tried it at the maximum amps for a couple of minutes just to see if the generator would pull it. It worked ok. The most I ever weld with is 115 amps. I wish that I had bought the smaller 5500 watt generator. This one really sucks the gas!

You will never notice the difference in fuel consumption between the 5500 and 6500.
True 6500 is on the ragged edge to carry the generator . Should be advising the dude to Go up to a minimum of 8000 and 10,000 is better .

Mule Meat
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/welder question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are talking good.

A Lincoln Electric K2343 gas welder with a built in 10k generator goes for around $3200 - $3500 new.

A good (and I'm not talking Harbor Freight or Amazon special) 10Kw generator will cost you just about that if not more. Take a Honda for example . A 10Kw unit will run you over $5 grand.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Generator/welder question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Indeed that Lincoln engine driven welder is an outstanding value and very capable .

https://m.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K2343-3(LincolnElectric)

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-Electric-225-Amp-Eagle-10-000-Plus-Gas-Engine-Driven-Welder-w-Stick-Leads-Multi-Process-10-5-kW-Peak-Generator-Kohler-K2343-3/202339557

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters