Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cutting the PTO Shaft

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cannot the details of cutting the shaft in front of the pump in order to get the pump out but do remember that iti was necessary to unbolt (remove?) the PTO engagement mechanism to gain clearance and do remember that it was not necessary to split the tractor.

Shaft was cut with a torch fore and aft by someone who know what he was doing (not me).

Dean

Orion231
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Success, the pump is out and the piece of shaft is out of the pump... I did not have to split the tractor.. What I did was take the bolts out of the pump cover and slide it back.. I couldn't get it back far enough for the front of the shaft to pull out of the PTO coupler.. After studying it for a while, I removed the valves and the valve rocker arm at the back of the pump. That let me slide it back enough to see the shaft between the pump and the PTO coupler.. It still did not give me enough room to cut the shaft in front of the pump as it hit the valve rocker pivot pin. Fortunately, the pin can be tapped out once you remove the cotter pin on the bottom of it. Once the pivot pin was out, I was able to slide the pump back far enough to get about 1 1/4 inches of clearance between the pump and the PTO coupler.

I didn't have enough room to get a saw in there so it was time to break out the torch.. To avoid too much heating of surrounding parts, it took several passes with the cutting torch and of course I had to periodically put the fire out in the oil and sludge at the bottom.. Anyway, I used water so that I could periodically cool down the pump and the PTO coupler in between cuts on the PTO shaft piece with the torch... Once the shaft was cut it took a bit of wiggling to get the pump out.

I then used a sawzall to cut the shaft as close to the pump as I could. It still took quite a bit of grinding the end of the shaft to be able drive it back out through the pump...

The biggest concern I have is whether the PTO coupler got to hot in the process. The slide seems to be more stiff and I am not sure what there are for bearings or seals in there.. Back to the books to see what I can find... I am not too worried about the pump as I will be rebuilding it anyway...

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting the PTO Shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have my respect.

Your ordeal conjurs up memories that I would rather forget.

I would not worry about the coupler and there are no seals in the sump near the PTO coupler.

I would advise you to inspect your aftermarket pump parts well. I've BTDT and found that most used OEM pistons and chambers are better than the aftermarket replacements even ignoring the interference problems
introduced by aftermarket chambers.

Dean

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters