Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeGreen830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've already asked a couple questions on here and have had great advice, I thank you. This 830 that I have is just sitting and hasn't been started in several years. I am trying to assess things and was wondering, can I tell if the engine is seized by removing the flywheel cover and try to turn the flywheel by hand? I know nothing and need some advice here, thanks.

Dan in Ohio
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike,

I am just guessing here as I have not tried this but it seems to me that if you pull the compression release lever that should
allow you to turn the fly wheel with the aid of a bar at least enough to confirm that is stuck or free. Would be easy enough
to try.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take the rocker cover off and ensure the valves are free to move .

MikeGreen830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Dan, appreciate it!

MikeGreen830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks buickanddeere, will do!

WeirdDeere
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can turn the flywheel by hand, at least back and forth, if you're up against compression might not want to roll over easy, if you pull the compression release it should roll just fine.

Brandon

MikeGreen830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, Brandon.

MikeGreen830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, I took the flywheel cover off and with the decompression lever held back, I could turn the flywheel about a 1/4 turn or more each way. When I turned it towards the front of the tractor when I got where I couldn't turn any further it acted like it wanted to pull the tractor forward. Is this a good sign or should I be able to turn the flywheel all the way around?

MikeGreen830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should have mentioned I turned it by hand.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It isn't stuck in gear, is it?

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shift the tractor to neutral... if it is moving the tractor, the tractor is likely in gear and the clutch sticking a bit...

MikeGreen830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oops I didn't take the tractor out of gear, that makes sense now. I'll try again tomorrow. Should I be able to turn the flywheel all the way around by hand in neutral then?

MikeGreen830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tried it again this morning with the tractor out of gear and still only able to turn it one way or the other about a quarter turn or more. Not sure if this is a good sign or should the flywheel turn all the way around by hand?

MikeGreen830
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok, so when I turn the flywheel towards the front of the tractor, it acts like it is hitting something and when I turn it towards the rear as far as I can, I hear a slight squeak, like maybe metal on metal and it gets stuck. I put muscle to it and can get it unstuck. If it was freed up, I should be able to turn it 360 by hand, correct? Decompression lever is back and tractor out of gear. Haven't checked on the valves yet.

Kendall W
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Another 830 2 cyl ES question (seized) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MikeGreen830 wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:39:28 10/19/20) Ok, so when I turn the flywheel towards the front of the tractor, it acts like it is hitting something and when I turn it towards the rear as far as I can, I hear a slight squeak, like maybe metal on metal and it gets stuck. I put muscle to it and can get it unstuck. If it was freed up, I should be able to turn it 360 by hand, correct? Decompression lever is back and tractor out of gear. Haven't checked on the valves yet.
Back in 2012 I bought a kind of stuck 820 green dash. I poured a couple of litres of diesel down the muffler and walked away for a week. I could only move it 8 teeth on the ring gear before it got tight. Then went back the other way. Took a lot of back and forth but eventually went all the way around 4 times. It would not start with the pup motor so we pull started it and it took off right quick. It had kind of strange pop to hear it run but it ran. Probalby a sticking valve. I new it just needed to be worked for a while. Everyone was trying to tell me it needed fuel pump work. I knew it just needed to work. A couple years later I had the chance to pull a blade for 3 hours with it. That cleaned it right up and now she sounds good. Makes 58 horse on the dyno like it should. The good part of pulling an implement is that the govenor gets worked also as a dyno deosen,t do that. Your 830 should make 69 HP on the dyno like mine does if nobody screwed with the fuel. Just don,t force anything and be gentle with it. Good luck.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters