Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hey T.V. Got your ears on?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I could have sworn you said you could check the valve lash on a diesel 560 by removing a minimum of parts. Which parts did you pull? So far I've pulled the two side panels & the left dogleg. Surprisingly got the four bolts out of the valve cover.... but I can't get the cover out without the fan shroud or the exhaust manifold being in the way. Is the manifold the key part or is it the shroud? The next question is, how do you get a screwdriver & wrench on the screws & rockers with the intake in the way? After all that, can I run the engine with the valve cover loose or am I going to have an oily mess? I'll have to warm it up again for re-re-re-checking it hot.

Thanks,
Mike

kevinj54
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Absent Minded Farm wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:49:18 11/21/20) I could have sworn you said you could check the valve lash on a diesel 560 by removing a minimum of parts. Which parts did you pull? So far I've pulled the two side panels & the left dogleg. Surprisingly got the four bolts out of the valve cover.... but I can't get the cover out without the fan shroud or the exhaust manifold being in the way. Is the manifold the key part or is it the shroud? The next question is, how do you get a screwdriver & wrench on the screws & rockers with the intake in the way? After all that, can I run the engine with the valve cover loose or am I going to have an oily mess? I'll have to warm it up again for re-re-re-checking it hot.

Thanks,
Mike

I are not TV but have done my own 560.

You have to pull the intake manifold off.

It is tight under there and if I remember right two of the cover bolts have to come out with the cover.

kevinj54
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About yer oily mess question.

I put the cover back on between lash settings.

And IH considers warm above 32 so run it, let it cool re-adjust.

You will get a better job when ya ain't getting burned on a hot engine.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

remove intake manifold and then slide out the valve cover. i have done this many times. warm up the tractor first then by the time you have it ready to adjust valves it is not burning fingers hot. adjust the valves as follows using the simplified method. get #1 piston at tdc on compression. number 1cyl. valves will be loose and the running mate's valves #6 cyl. will be tight. adjust to these valves to .027, 123 5 7 9. then give her a revolution and adjust the other 6 valves 4 6 8 10,11, 12. when # 6 is at tdc on compression. put the valve cover on with a good gasket and sealer and your done. i am presuming this is the 560 you just got running. so once the retorque and valve set is done thats it. there is no oily mess.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Must not be holding our mouth right or something here . I pull the white side pieces and leave the back two bolts in the cover and roll it out i do not remember pulling else , Been probable 15 years since the last 560 rolled thru the shop maybe longer . Last one that i bought came from a sale in N. Judson In. , i was not at the sale as i left bids on a half dozen tractors with the auctioneer as i had many dealings with Ben . I was at another sale buying for myself and a buddy and he was at another sale with my grocery list . Ben called me Sunday evening to let me know how many peso to send him and to let me know it was going to be a while before i could come and get them due top the blizzard ragging . That was like the first or second week of Dec . Anything that had not left that sale lot by Sunday after noon would not be seen again till late March and when i did go out in March to get the first load Ben and i had to DIG to find two as we still could not see the exhaust pipes of the others . Yea i know it is tight but they will come out . Ya may have to remove the heat shield under the fuel tank hat is how i pull heads on 706 's with out pulling the fuel tank . . Only ones that give real problems at the 806 D 856 D 1206 12-1456 and 400 and 450 with power steering

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is the 560 I just got running. The only reason I'm going over the valves yet & again, is because I can't get the white smoke to clear up. Manual says it's either that or the engine is running cool.... or bad fuel. The fuel is freshly squeezed from the dinosaurs so I don't think that's it. The next thing done to it was covered the grill with newspaper & took it for a spin down the road. Got the needle to stay just to the right of "N" in "RUN" & drove it for an extra 15 min. It changed nothing. So, I'm back to the valves again. Is there something else I'm missing that the book doesn't cover?

Mike

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you recall if you pulled the intake manifold before rolling the cover out? I don't think the heat shield comes out with the gas tank still in it. Will have to look again.

Mike

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was able to get the loose bolts out of the cover by tipping it 45º toward me on the let side of the tractor. Think I can get the intake off with the
filter housing & genny still on it. Will have to look tomorrow.

Mike

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I thought the exhaust manifold was cool enough, still got some hot knuckles trying to fish that valve cover out of there. Will reinstall it to prevent
a mess.

Was mistaken in thinking IH specified 50º for warm. Ooops!

Mike

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For sure u need to remove intake first. Then the valve cover rolls out. And no heat shield need to be removed.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the timing set at? Factory is 3 degrees advance. U might have some bad injectors also. Also low compression. Valve setting is not going to make white smoke

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

50 is cold , warm would have to be over 70.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to pull intake like others have said. The heat shield does not come off like on a 706. Your only problem will be that gasket may tear up pulling manifold unless not very old.

White smoke, well, those tractors are famous for that. That pump has a load advance on it. The way it works is full advance at all speeds (except cranking speed) until it retards half way, one mark on a window at half load and two marks, full retard to static timing at full load.

The advance is operated by fuel pressure and is super sensitive to low fuel pressure but that is not usually the cause. What happens is a flat spot gets worn on the governor guide stud and then the metering valve, which controls the advance is positioned vertically properly.

A ten dollar window attached to timing opening on pump and you can observe the timing marks move. When you don't have a dyno or a fuel bench, you can get a real good idea of setting by running at low idle speed. It should be advanced the two marks on window at idle and then open throttle fully instantly. It should show retard movement close to one mark or so if it is working and then return to full two marks advance at high rpm's.

I would bet it is not advancing at all which is four pump degrees or eight engine degrees. I adjusted a jillion of them over the years so often didn't even have a window with me to put on, just by listening to how engine ran you can tell if advancing and retarding. Total different sound.

The adjustment is on the rear of pump, guide stud has a lock nut. Usually a quarter turn in and you are on a new unworn spot and bingo, it runs right.

I am not saying perfect method but better than taking pump in for rebuild .

Fuel pressure can be checked also but that requires a few more tools and specs. This all begins with three degree before top dead center static timing.

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pump was recently rebuilt. The timing may be off. I like the idea of making a window to check timing. Is the window something that can be purchased? Wonder if I can use that in conjunction with a pulse timing light.

Mike

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Hey T.V. Got your ears on? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is set to 3º advance. Bad injectors are a possibility. Never did get those tested. What would cause low compression if the head it torqued down right?

Mike

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters