Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Stone boat pulling tractors?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonCT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:04 am    Post subject: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My buddy and I are thinking about getting into pulling. The local club uses a stone boat and requires 1955 and older. Any suggestions as to what would be good? Thinking 3500 or 4500 class.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would a late (1947-1952) model John Deere B have a creeper gear transmission that could to fit the bill at low cost?

JonCT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think they have a 1.5 mph 1st gear. I know of a JD 50 that I could buy reasonably but, not sure if that would be in the 4500 class.

JonCT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Other tractors that I know of for sale are:

JD 40T
JD MT
Farmall C

EP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any of those 3 can be made into good stone boat pullers.

Gary Mitchell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

77 Oliver's are hard to beat in that range. gm

JonCT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks...that’s kinda where I was leaning anyway...I like Olivers

JonCT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are Oliver 60’s any good at 3000lbs?

Gary Mitchell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe that a 66 would be easier to power up at that weight but enuf $ makes anything competitive. gm

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 50 would be ok with steel wheels.

JonCT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I own my great grandfathers Oliver 60...I don’t mind doing a mild build...could this be make to compete in 3000#?
Or 2500?

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JDs and Farmalls have longer stroke which makes them more competitive at low RPMs. While the Olivers and Fords are shorter stroke higher RPMs. For those weight classes you want a JD B or Farmall C. The 2 cyl. tend to be light on the front but you should be able to move weight with a B.

560Dennis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think case and MM have the edge in most four cylinder stroke , weight center of gravity jd .
But it fun to us the ingenuity to see what you can do with any tractor, my thoughts.
If you master the principles of physics of the dead end weight set up ,you will beat the track guys every time.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-560Dennis wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:51:31 11/29/20) I think case and MM have the edge in most four cylinder stroke , weight center of gravity jd .
But it fun to us the ingenuity to see what you can do with any tractor, my thoughts.
If you master the principles of physics of the dead end weight set up ,you will beat the track guys every time.

Dennis, what is "the dead end weight set up? I have never heard of that in thirty years of pulling. And what are the principals of physics of it and who are the "track guys"??

560Dennis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stone boat pulling tractors? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dead weight sled set up , or stone boat
Track pullers only

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters