Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

8N starting issues

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N starting issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PhilWV, If you have good spark now,with a spark tester or a 1/4" gapped old plug.Try this to get your engine running.Get a new set of plugs as yours could be fouled/flooded from fuel deposits from trying to start iy manny times.I recommend (NGK 3112 (B-4l) plugs.Squirt 2-3 pumps of engine oil in a oil can. or 1 teaspoon of oil down each plug hole before installing new plugs.This will increase compression and help it start.A squirt of starting fluid into carb intake when cranking over with ignition on and throttle 1/4 to 1/2 way open.No choke needed with starter fluid.Try this!

PhilWV
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N starting issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the advice. For the update, I'm still not getting a spark. I got the adjustable spark tester, same result as the opened-up plug: nothing. A couple of times I got a very weak and inconsistent spark with the tester opened <1/16", but that's it.

I went back out with the multimeter and I'm getting the right voltage at the coil: same as battery when the points are open, half that when closed.

Bruce, I went through your 10 most common distributor-related reasons for a weak spark and your continuity tests for inside the distributor - again - in case I missed something the first time. This time around I dressed the points with cardstock like you suggested, even though the points look pristine and I'm not getting any resistance reading between them. There was a little carbon streaking on the bronze contact points inside the cap but not much, it came off with steel wool. Did a continuity test before I put the distributor back on, and it was fine: no continuity between the top of the coil and the distributor body when points are open, slight resistance from the coil when they're closed.

I don't get it. Brand new battery, continuity in all the right places, but no spark. Could the coil be bad?

PhilWV
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N starting issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't laugh... I was rushing a bit yesterday and didn't connect the top terminal of the coil when I tested for spark. Spotted it first thing today and hooked it up, sparking great now. :roll: (OK, you can laugh.)

Problem is I still can't get it to run, even after swapping out the old plugs for new AL 437s. I crank it a few times with the ignition off, then turn the ignition on and pull out the choke for a split second -- it starts -- sputters for 3 or 4 seconds at most, and then gives out. After about 3 tries, the engine's flooded. Then if I pull the spark plugs and wipe them dry, it'll fire again.

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 8N starting issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PhilWV wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:54:55 11/24/20)

Problem is I still can't get it to run, even after swapping out the old plugs for new AL 437s. I crank it a few times with the ignition off, then turn the ignition on and pull out the choke for a split second -- it starts -- sputters for 3 or 4 seconds at most, and then gives out. After about 3 tries, the engine's flooded. Then if I pull the spark plugs and wipe them dry, it'll fire again.

try less choke. the flooding is <almost> certainly the result of too much choke.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters