Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Oliver 77 crankshaft pulley...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjoman09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Oliver 77 crankshaft pulley... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did get my generator belt changed and fan belt back on- bit of a challenge- now the three nuts on the pulley I did loosen and it never moved more than 1/2" and now trying to get it to move back to tighten belt but not going- I would think it would move? Thanks.

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 77 crankshaft pulley... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last one I did I took apart and either greased it or used anti sieze on it.

banjoman09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 77 crankshaft pulley... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah I think it is kinda stubborn! I used some WD but didnt help any.

Spunky Flat Ron
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 77 crankshaft pulley... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Olliejunkie said, it will be necessary to remove the pulley and take the slip ring off. You may even need to rent a gear puller from Autozone or someplace to get the adjuster ring off without damaging it. Your pulley is probably beat up from previous adjustment actions. You will need to use various tools to smooth out the damage. My theory is that these pulleys were often adjusted while the tractor engine was hot (Probably overheated). To further speculate, the main part of the pulley was getting a lot of heat from the engine and expanding more than the adjustment ring which was exposed to moving air. This would effectively lock up the pulley assembly. I think this explains why you see so many pulleys on Fleetlines (66, 77, 88) beat up and difficult to adjust. Oliver had to stay with this design so they could fully cover the engine compartment with sheet metal. A typical single V-belt arrangement would often throw the generator into interference with the side panel.

banjoman09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 77 crankshaft pulley... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see and that's probably the way to do this- might be a rainy or snowy day before I get to it! I will have to remove the hood and the from metal and the radiator. Thanks.

Olliejunkie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 77 crankshaft pulley... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It seems to me you could free it up by removing the 3 bolts and working but I would have to look at one to verify.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters