Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1968 Case 730 Power Steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobl1958
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: 1968 Case 730 Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After years of waiting I finally was able to buy my 94 year old neighbors 730 gas. Neighbor bought it new. My plan is to put a Farmhand bale grapple on it to pick up 8 small bales behind the accumulator. 5he tractor has 4900 original hours.

My question is Power Steering. The PS on this tractor works, and does not leak, which is a miracle. The problem is when you turn the wheel the steering is just a little erratic. Not extremely rough, but not exactly smooth either. Would the thought be that the issue would be in the pump, or more so up in the pedestal? I realize Case PS is not the greatest, but in good condition it should do what I need. I think as it is, if I lifted 8 bales there is no way the wheels would turn until at least I was moving. Any thoughts? Thanks

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Case 730 Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was Power Assist steering and not made to turn when sitting still, first thing I would check with what you describe is the belt condition and tightness, and of course make sure it full of oil,, you have to remove the dipstick wipe it off and replace/remove to check or you will get a false reading, if those are all good and changes nothing you may have a sticky control unit, it should not be erratic in steering,,

Denny K
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Case 730 Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the pump belt driven? If so, check belt condition and tightness. IIRC there is a filter in the pump. Tom, correct me if I'm wrong.

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Case 730 Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom is correct in that you should not be trying to turn the steering wheel sitting still. I don't care if it is your 730, your car, pick up or big truck, no steering wheel should be turned sitting still as it puts tremendous strain of everything, from the steering gear, tie rods and tires. When radial tires 1st were introduced, it was discovered that the plague of broken belts came from turning the steering wheel while sitting still. The rim would move inches, and stretch the tire before the tire would scuff over.
In addition to the fluid level, and belts, it might possibly be a weak spring in the relief valve. Both the fan belts & P/S belt need to be tight on those units.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Case 730 Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, that sounds normal, they were like that 50 years ago too. A heavy loader and wide front end don't help any. Drive it as if it had manual steering and it will work just fine.

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1968 Case 730 Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Picked up thousands of square bales with the 1030 and a Case 70 loader...which is identical to your GB.Make sure the bottom of the pulleys aren't shiny as it would indicate a bad belt or worn pulleys.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Case 730 Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes belt driven and a filter in the pump tank,,

comfortking
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1968 Case 730 Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All true about the steering. If you need to turn it with a load on the loader put the loader down and take all the weight off the front wheels. It does not take very long and you should be caring your load low anyway. Loaded many loads of manure with a ford 8n. It had no power steering but had a Burch loader with two way cylinders on the lift and the bucket. It had a front driven pump and was very quick on the hydraulics. One learned quickly keep the bucket low. They had very weak spindles.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters