Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

FMD wanting to heat up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larbear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: FMD wanting to heat up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a fordson Major witch I've had probably 10 years now.Seems as of late when I start it it is heating up by the gauge when it is running. I noticed it last time and topped up the rad with anti freeze. It did it again today, heating up, that is. Thermostat sticking? Or an other possibility? Thankyou.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: FMD wanting to heat up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How hot does it get?

larbear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: FMD wanting to heat up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It doesn't heat right up. The needle goes up past half way but the tractor isn't running very hard or for very long. I noticed it a few years ago when plowing that it would heat up a bit at a certain point in the round but then come back to normal at the end of the field only to do it again next round. I've read here that they can be run without the thermostat?

SkipperII
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: FMD wanting to heat up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They can be run without the thermostat, but it isn't advisable, You engine needs to operate in the 180-196 range to be efficient. Lack of heat will allow condensation to build up in the crankcase also, more apt to have sludge buildup also. What do you consider heating up to be? If you think the thermostat is sticking, change it, they aren't that expensive.

larbear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: FMD wanting to heat up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply's. I have a few things I could order for this old girl, a thermostat wouldn't hurt.

Majorman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: FMD wanting to heat up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a problem with putting in a modern thermostat, the original design shut off the bypass when it opened so all the water went through the radiator, the modern thermostats do not have that ability.

Try giving the radiator a thorough flush through and make sure the radiator fins are clean. The early radiators had fins close together and these can easily block up.

Is she blowing water out of the radiator or are you just seeing the gauge go up?

larbear
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: FMD wanting to heat up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see the gauge go up. I will be running it in the next few days to move some bales around. The rad was flushed through a few years ago. I will blow out any blockage within the fins. I have a window screen mesh in front of the rad, like so many things around here, I use them and expect them to work properly ad infinitum.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters