Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Slack noise in receiver hitch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrman61
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there a way to kill the receiver/receiver hitch noise from slack on my pickup ? Especially when hooked to a trailer?

300jk
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you mean between the ball and trailer hitch, pintle to trailer ring or just the noise in your truck receiver ?

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use a grade 8 bolt with a shank through both sides and then threads, instead of a pin, tighten it to binding, then double nut it. Or let it rust to solid. Jim

rrman61
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The noise in the truck receiver is there a way to get rid of the slack?

WESnIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No noise in mine. Use Jim's suggestion of a bolt with double nuts instead of a pin. Most take a 5/8" diameter bolt. I just use a Grade 5.

Ken Macfarlane
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Load trailer with proper tongue weight.

Don't use a deep drop or rise hitch.

Thats about it, you can shim a receiver with poly banding straps for a trip but it doesn't last.

Loosehandle
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

Cut some shims if on the top or bottom wire them in. Sides drill hole.

BRSnKY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are store-bought cushions that last almost as long as a few wraps of cheap electrical tape.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had receiver hitches on eight trucks switching around between three drawbars over 35 years and have never had any noise like the drawbar is moving in the receiver. I expect that lack of tongue weight would be a likely cause.

Tony in SD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My new Ford pickup needed a sleeve to reduce receiver hole. If I didn’t use one I’m sure it would have made a lot of noise.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes the receiver is a tad oversize, cause it is made up by the hitch company vs the steel mill.
The drawbar is usually close to exact cause it is 2" sq.
I have had a few that are sloppy when assembled.

My cure is to drill another hole in receiver tube on the bottom or side. Weld a nut over the hole.
Use a very short bolt slobbered up with nevrseez and use it as a set screw against the drawbar.

jd man wis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before I put my hich in the receiver I have a muffler clamp that's like 3 inches. I put the round part on the hitch that slides in and the other over the oUT side square part of the receiver and after I pin it I take and tighten down the clamp. Works good.

tn terry t
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rrman61 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:44:17 01/13/21) Is there a way to kill the receiver/receiver hitch noise from slack on my pickup ? Especially when hooked to a trailer?
amazon shows all kinds i typed in "anti rattle hitch tightener" dont know if they are worth a flip or not

casecollectorsc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Newer pickups have a sleeve that goes in the receiver before you put the hitch in. Are you sure you are not missing this sleeve?

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Slack noise in receiver hitch Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rrman61 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:44:17 01/13/21) Is there a way to kill the receiver/receiver hitch noise from slack on my pickup ? Especially when hooked to a trailer?

Weld it.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters