Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Irony

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tgrasher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Saw an add from a fella that had a grill screen for sale that would fit the tractor I've been working on. One of mine is good the other has a hole pushed in it, which really distorts the whole screen. I had worked on them about a year ago, trying to straighten them. Then got a new project that required cleaning out the same work area, so moved them to some other "safe" place. Needed to look at them because I didn't remember which side was good and which side was bad. Well yesterday I spent two hours looking for them and another hour today. I'm talking taking a flashlight and looking over and under every place I can imagine them to be. They aren't little, like 25" tall and a foot or so wide and curved almost 90*. Still haven't found them. And just the other day, I told my BIL who was cussing because he couldn't find something, I knew where all my parts were.

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to my world, Bro!! It seems like I spend half of my time looking for something that either I just had in my hand or I just saw it there and now it's gone. The kiss of death is to put something in a safe place so I can find it when I need it, you'll never see it again!!! It doesn't get any easier as you get older!!!!

Charlie M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't find stuff after I have actually put it where it belongs. Its the last place I think to look.

ray hofstetter
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:00 am    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I quit putting things in a "safe" place because I never see it again, might as well throw it into a black hole and forget about it.

DRussell
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best way I've found to be able to find stuff is to start keeping it in the first place I think to look for it when I need it.

That, and hanging everything where I can see it on a regular basis.

miangus
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At least you remembered you had them, I have found stuff I didn't remember I had.

Repairman60
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I spent 15 minutes one day looking for my eyeglasses. Yep found them in the last place I looked......setting on my nose

Bob Collins
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My best luck finding something is when I have given up and start looking for something else. And, when I do find the first thing I was looking for, I discover that it looks different from what I remember it looking like.

redtom
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One night when I was working nights I was driving to work talking to my wife on the phone. I stopped talking and she said whats wrong? There I was swerving around feeling all my pockets and the seats. I said, "I"M looking for my phone!"

SkipperII
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At work one night, had to replace the water pump on our shop truck. Put it back together, and couldn't find the alternator belt, looked high and low, my buddy and the boss looked also. Looked on the belt racks, no new replacement (only 6.9 on the property). All the parts stores closed. Gave up, sat down and had a cup of coffee. Went back into the shop, there it was, black belt, black air cleaner, the belt fit inside the lip of the air cleaner lid, perfectly.

retired farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did that years ago, got a new pair of glasses and were adjusted properly. I got up one morning and put them on and stayed in the house for a little and then went outside to work. Stepped off the steps and stopped. Forgot my glasses, went back in and tore the house apart looking for them. About that time somebody called on the phone and asked what I was doing. Told them I was looking for my glasses. Happened to turn my head just right and noticed the frame out of the corner of my eye. Have never had another pair of glasses that fit that well.

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After watching alot of CSI type shows, I've taken to looking for stuff with a led adjustable lens flashlight. It focuses your eyes on a very narrow target. Some times stuff is ALMOST in plain site, but hiding. gobble

DMartin9N-2N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good afternoon: I noted the discussion on a favorite topic, the lost stuff. I have gotten to where I drive a nail in a stud and hang the thing up, whatever it is, so I will see it daily. If it is a tool, I put it in the nearest tool box, that limits searching later. Certain tools, I have duplicates scattered around, I do not want to spend time looking for an ordinary tool that is basically low-cost. I can afford to have combination wrenches in three tool boxes, and a 10 mm socket in every box!

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

Wheat47
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Speaking of being lost:
Was hauling silage for the neighbor one year. We had four trucks, with about a 2 mile haul.
(Depending on which end of the field you ended up on.)
So we were always watching for the next truck or the one behind you so you didn't have a wreck.
I dumped my load, got on the county road, met the first truck comming in. I could see the second
truck just pulling out of out of the field, and the 3rd truck was under the chopper.
Now, where is the 4th truck???? Oh, yeah...that me!!!!!!!!!!

Repairman60
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Irony Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old friend at church told he had to work on a sink. He had a faucet wrench but could not find it. Gave up looking for it figured he loaned to someone and it forgot to come home. Bought a new one. Finished his job took his new wrench to shop thought where to put it so he could find this one next time he might need it. Reached to hang it on a nail and hung it right over the old one.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters