Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1550 Hydraulic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: 1550 Hydraulic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want to change the hydraulic oil in the 1550. The operators
manual says to remove the recessed plug and attach a hose
and run the motor until empty. Having trouble getting the plug
out, can I put heat on it without hurting anything? Or just take
a coupler off and pump it out that way?

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 Hydraulic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heat and wax, but I'd just use a hose and a male end plugged in to a coupler.

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 Hydraulic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, thanks

ziffel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 Hydraulic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes you can.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1550 Hydraulic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I managed to get that plug out with a 3/8 drive breaker bar and pipe. I drained mine using one of those siphon pumps down the filler hole. If you work the hose down to the left it can go right to the pan. Gets more out than just running the pump.

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1550 Hydraulic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried a 3/8" breaker bar, but it was too big to fit in the plug. I took one of the couplers off of the hydraulic hose and ran it empty that way. Old oil looked like a cup of coffee with cream in it. refilled and going again,. Thanks, Randy

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 Hydraulic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just for future reference, I stripped one of those plugs right out round one time. That was January of 2001. My son was home from auto diesel school at the time. I was about to try to drill it out. He told me to start heating it. He went in the house and got a candle and pushed it against the hot casting and plug. We let it cool just a little, then I took a hammer and chisel and hit the edge of the plug one time. It spun right around. I had a glove on, stuck my thumb in the plug and turned it right out.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 Hydraulic Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried the candle thing a couple of times with no success. Once to get one of the lift arms off the rockshaft on the 1550. Had the shaft and arm out and in a 12 ton press and it wouldn't budge. Took it to the nearby Khunle trucking garage and they got it off with a torch and a 40 ton. The first arm slid right off.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters