Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

General Question - engine needs fuel squirt to start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rened zuniga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: General Question - engine needs fuel squirt to start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not asking for assistance on my Ford tractors but rather for a friend's SCB diesel backhoe.

Seems we got it running and was running fine. However, all of a sudden it will not start unless we squirt some fuel in the air cleaner area.

I am use to working on my simple 8n and 800's but have never worked on diesel.
Any one have an idea what may be the problem?????

As usual, thank you in advance for any suggestions or assistance provided. David

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: General Question - engine needs fuel squirt to start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fuel or starting fluid? What fuel? Gasoline?

Low cranking speed and/or low compression are two of the most common causes of diesel engine failure to start.

Dean

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: General Question - engine needs fuel squirt to start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently picked up a diesel engine in a 94 IdiT Ford that starting fluid as used on. Complete with two bent push rods and a few other problems. Now it has a new engine in it instead, I guess it could be said a new engine in the long run is cheaper than a proper fix in the first place by the previous owner. Save your pennies, you might be able to purchase it cheap enough, soon enough.
Low batteries and air intrusion are two good places to start looking. Leaky return lines? Leaky o ring at the filters?
if diesel is coming out, air might be getting in.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: General Question - engine needs fuel squirt to Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't give much to go on, but reading between the lines says that MAYBE you did some work like MAYBE replaced filters, and SUDDENLY means that it was doing OK but then things changed. My money would be on sucking a little air while sitting so that it is not getting fuel.

Jim.ME
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: General Question - engine needs fuel squirt to Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like Dean and showcrop posted, you are leaving a lot out causing people having to guess about here. Maybe you mean JCB loader hoe? What model? What brand engine? What fuel? Are you actually spraying fuel in it or starting fluid? If you did change fuel filters, what did you install for a fuel filter(s) - brand and number?

grhuck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: General Question - engine needs fuel squirt to Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rened zuniga wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:04:21 01/13/21) Not asking for assistance on my Ford tractors but rather for a friend's SCB diesel backhoe.

Seems we got it running and was running fine. However, all of a sudden it will not start unless we squirt some fuel in the air cleaner area.

I am use to working on my simple 8n and 800's but have never worked on diesel.
Any one have an idea what may be the problem?????

As usual, thank you in advance for any suggestions or assistance provided. David

If it's a newer machine with a Common Rail fuel system, call the dealer. Else you may break something that has a price you might not enjoy paying. The newer Common Rail engines set and store malfuntion codes but only a dealer can access them.

rened zuniga
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: General Question - engine needs fuel squirt to start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry for the skippy information, but that's all I was given at first. However, I decided to go over today to look at the backhoe closer during the day. (When I first saw it, it was at night and the guy had a simple hanging light on while working on the engine head.)

Got the serial number and it looks like it is a 1987 JCB B1400 backhoe with a 214 Perkins Diesel engine.

When my friend bought it, the engine head was off. So he had it redone and put it back on with new gasket and all. I went over with my torque wrench to torque the head bolts that evening. Nothing else was done and he indicated it started up fine for about a week. Now it will not start unless a mixture of gas and oil is quirked in the air cleaner passage. Then it works fine until it is time to start it again.

Other than insuring that all fluids are at the proper level, no filters and nothing else has been done or changed.

Will ask my friend to apply your suggestions. Thanks.

67Chevrolet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: General Question - engine needs fuel squirt to Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe retorque head gasket

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters