Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Piston design question...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I converted a filmstrip pertaining to the Fire Crater piston sets. In the strip, it is mentioned that the pistons have a slipper design. What is that? I've heard that term before, but have no idea what it means.

Mike

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

probably referring to the aluminum pistons that replaced the cast ones. means the piston is made as light as possible, not like the cast one that looks like a round cylinder. on these its basically the skirt and the sides with the wrist pin is cut out.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Slipper skirt means the piston skirt does not go all the way around below the pin. Only the thrust sides so less friction and more tolerate to expansion not causing seizure in bore or collapsing the skirt.

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ah! So that refers to the two long tabs that hang down on either side. That is quite interesting. Is there any significance to the short tabs under the pinhole?

When you started at a dealership, were some of the training kit filmstrips or had they changed to regular films by then?

Mike

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I presume the short tabs are for strength to prevent the wrist pin from tearing out of the piston?
SadFarmall

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Training films????? I had engine rebuild school in the Army. A short 10 week course. Got me started. Well, actually. I bought a 41 chev and it broke the crankshaft the sixth day I had it. Borrowed a book from independent mechanic. Read it end to end. That was how I got started wrenching.

Joined Army and by taking three years I had a choice of training. Wow. Anyway,
was lucky enough to work on trucks in the Army for over two years. Wanted to learn so got a lot of the jobs that others didn't want to do.

I would take the books home from the dealer and read up on them. Went to IH service training most every winter for two or three day session. But, that covered new models. Not much basic stuff. Did go to Hickory Hills for a week several years later. That was a good training facility.

Never even drove a Diesel tractor or truck until I started at the dealer. Some body had to learn how to repair them along with the injection systems.

Then Case came along. Whole new learning experience. To top it off, last four years before I retired from the dealers, I worked at John Deere Dealer. That was interesting also.

But, training films, some sales films that was about it.

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ah! That would make sense. I can't see IH skimping on the beef where need be.

Mike

Absent Minded Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow! Just about born with a wrench in your hand. Didn't know you stayed on through the Case merger either. Was that a big leap going from working on the 88 series to the new Magnums? Also didn't know that Hickory Hills did training. Testing & the film studio I had knowledge of. That is neat stuff.

Mike

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh Case was a new experience alright. That started in winter of 85 and I left in Dec of 95. Went to Racine training center three times. Twice on Magnum and once on Maxxum. They had a good school.

I never got no where near proficient on the Case tractors. Usually pawned them off the a couple of the younger guys. I usually worked on the newest and latest model tractors. Did do a lot of Magnum work with field changes etc. Forgot most everything about them though. The Maxxum was such a totally different animal. They did almost everything opposite of the Magnum. More wires than in a telephone office.

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like we had kind of the same army tours. Raised on a dairy farm I had worked of various machinery before uncle sam sent me a invite. After some testing they put me in a mechanic training. Sent to Germany out of training and stayed at the same place until discharge. Shop there had maybe 10 big bays with a pit and overhead crane, two guys to a bay. Slow start for me there though. Being a new guy in the company when platoons fell out for the morning the first sarge would ask for so many men from each platoon for detail duty, jobs no one wanted to do. New guy like me was picked by the platoon sarge most of the time. One crazy job I had to do was paint the stone wall along a road on base in January with it snowing and traffic splashing the sloppy road on the wall. Some times they would want someone for detail later and come to the shop after them and I was sent. Worked in a bay with a Texan named savage that was a long timer at the location. One day the sarge come after me with savage down in the pit. He boiled out of there mad and told the sarge I was the best help he ever had and to go down the line and get one of those dead beats. Never had to go on detail duty after that. Could tell a lot of tales like being off on a Saturday on second floor of old German barracks and hear them coming after someone to pull guard duty because some one didn't show. Other room mate fell and broke his leg as we ran down the stairs, stopped to help him and sent me to guard and him to medics. Load up whole company for a alert and take off for who knows where and driving a 2.5 ton down the road and notice empty beer cans being thrown out because someone in back slipped the beer along. Scared we were all going to be in trouble if the wrong person saw it happening. E4 and below was required to pull guard duty the time I was there. Shortly after I made E5 they made us be in charge of the guard shifts . Only about once a month though. Sorry for the long post.

CenTex Farmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The short tabs are there for balancing. They can use that area to machine a few thousands off as required to get all the pistons within a +/- weight range.

bc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Piston design question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reminded me when in basic training at Fort Polk. Was on the second floor on a Sunday when most were gone. Was only half full so all the extra bunks were placed down on the end. Was sitting on my bunk about half way down when I heard the drill sergeant come in down stairs needing people for police call of the grounds. Took about 3 steps and made a headlong dive on the well buffed floor and slid all the way to the back of the bunks. He came upstairs, didn't see anyone, and left.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters