Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

656 PTO input shaft replacment.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle Beagle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: 656 PTO input shaft replacment. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The splines are shot on the PTO input shaft and my IT manual shows bumping the shaft of the driven gear back enough that the driven gear will drop down. As it is now, only the bearing cage of the input catches on the gear.

Do I need to split the TA away from the transmission and proceed with further disassembly or is there a shortcut to get the shaft out.

Thank you for any sugesstions.

Beagle

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 656 PTO input shaft replacment. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unfortunately, it is not easy. Either split TA section from rear or, I have done it without split because tractor with cab and all, lot of work to remove TA section.

You can pull rear pto unit, then move to the rear, the shaft driving rear unit. Take T cover off underneath TA. There is a snap ring holding rear bearing of that lower shaft. Take snap ring out, not easy but can be done. Then take cover off below gear on lower shaft. Take plug out of housing to get bolt out that is holding gear onto shaft. There is a tapered wedge washer holding gear onto shaft.

Put good blocking behind gear and tap that shaft back out of gear. May pop right off but most likely will be difficult. The better you block that gear the easier it is to get it to move. Drop gear down a little and your upper shaft will come right out.

Eagle Beagle
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 656 PTO input shaft replacment. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply, no cab on this one and the TA stand on casters is almost finished. Good tip about backing up the gear.

I was wondering if some one was to cut the roller bearing cage with a Dremel tool and then pack the rollers in heavy grease. Spread the cage open and pull out the rollers as you slowly rotated the cage.

Installation would mean freezing the new input gear and shaft and then heating the new bearing to 275-300 degrees. Have a helper hold the bearing in the race and quickly push the shaft into the bearing.

Just a thought. With my luck those rollers would drop down and I could never fish them all out!

Beagle

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters