Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Broken topics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Broken topics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hate to hound you about this, I guess I have trouble understanding the difficulty to fix it. Again, believe me I
appreciate your work towards continued operation of these forums. Post in IH..Farmall topic. See link. Posted
with a over 40 character space subject containing quotes and a dash. Must have been posted in Classic
because there it currently shows 7 replies under the original thread and one broke out reply. Modern shows
only one the original pos. Do you deal with lag between the servers the two platforms operate on, is this part of what I am seeing? I am wondering about basic posting instructions, I guess directly why cant you direct people
through instructions to limit this problem? That leads me into another question or two about the FAQ which
appears to be the only place you can get this kind of guidance. Has that been updated recently? Can you even
access that from Classic, I dont see a way. I might add I am posting this from an iPhone so in some cases
that does limit what you can view on a site at times. I will get on my laptop later and see if I made any false accusations.
Lastly dont get me wrong I prefer Classic view, but I have some proposals I would like to make considering the
current operation of this forum. Those will need to be made in an email. I have no idea of the workings of a
software platform for a forum such as this, my initial email will probably just have to do with understanding that
on a laymans level. Again my sincere appreciation! Rick
Post in question

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Broken topics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Every reply on classic, tries to find the subject on modern and match it up. Since there is no subject with ("hytrans" in) at the end of it, it fails to find it and generates a new modern topic. It's actually the classic view that's doing this, not modern. Specifically, it's yet another form of quotes. Each quote character the poster used, is a 6 character "entity" (that's what they are called). I've no idea why someone would do that, browsers don't do it. That also made the subject 52 characters long (even though it looks to be only 40+) which when I trucated (a new fix for the length problem), it appears much shorter when you look at it. I'll have the new restructured version in early this week. It was many 100s of lines of changes so it requires a lot of testing in the test forum before it goes to other forums.

On your other comment. You're right that user information on the sensitivity of the subject would make a lot of difference. There is no guidance in the FAQ or on the screen that says, "Keep your subject short and don't put in special characters". If people did that, the problem would never occur. But it frankly shouldn't work like it does right now. In other words, it simply has to be fixed, and I am making progress, but you can't see it yet. But indeed, putting a few simple words by the entry line for subject could save a lot of pain in trying to follow the posts in the meantime. I'll discuss that with Kim again because we have talked about it and were hoping to figure out the fix before doing that. Maybe it's time to put a note on the screen about it.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken topics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I post the special characters are automatically deleted

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Broken topics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those quotes in that post were something other than special characters. Those were html entities. I can look under the hood and see what it actually is. They are a 6 character string of stuff that will render quotes in html (so we end up seeing quotes). The poster must have used those intentionally or been using an unusual browser. It's obviously yet another thing I have to catch and fix.

Deleting the quotes like you are seeing was a stopgap. I need to convert them so you can use quotes. That's part of what the restructure I'm doing should let me do.

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Broken topics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How is it coming on this? The post in the link went
..all kinds of bad.. spreading out wise. Dont know
how close you monitor this. It can easily be seen
scanning through the ..topic lines.. of a board, but I
am sure you dont need to be told this. Sorry about
the ..Posting Policy Refresher.. post last Sunday. It
just steams me when folks keep trying to slide a
discussion topic in that is a known ..hot button..
Again, thanks for all you do!
Spread out

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Broken topics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've done the restructure and it's running in Test Forum. I haven't proceeded further as a lot of testing is needed. That will then be put into all the forums and I can then apply fixes for the problems I'm aware of. I have some stopgaps in there right now I'll check out the thread you mentioned and see if it's something other than what I'm working toward.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Broken topics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was different, should have been fixed already. It somehow ran over 50 characters even though I did truncated. I'm thinking maybe the preview screen didn't catch when he fixed it back to the over 50 characters. Then with the Re: on it, it runs even further over. Modern absolutely truncates it to 50 and then classic can't match it up the next time someone does a classic reply. I'll try to recreate this on the test forum and figure it out.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters