Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

have you ever opened a can of worms

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VAC400
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: have you ever opened a can of worms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Working on my 400 row crop which started out great put the belt pulley assemble on, ordered parts wrong part. then I noticed the right rear brake did not hold. So I started on the left side looked like oil leak, pulled the cover and it was full of grease, I mean packed. So I ordered parts for both sides. Took the inter plate off and well the bearing was rusted. So now I am waiting on bearings for both sides. I will pull the trans apart after I work it awhile and see if the noises go away. The tractor runs great but it did not have the care it should have, but I will get it back in shape. Jerry from Ohio

Rodney51Cub
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: have you ever opened a can of worms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, just recently.
Left axle seal leaking on my VAI. Checked trans fluid, over serviced. Checked hydro fluid, empty. Had to split tractor to replace front trans seal. Also replaced axle seal. Replaced PTO gears, one gear had a broken tooth. Doing some electrical work and broke light switch. Put new switch in and went to start tractor, anti-freeze low. Found water pump leaking out weep hole. Have new pump just got side tracked with this snow thing. Next I have to replace the constant mesh gear in the trans on my 44 H.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: have you ever opened a can of worms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 400 just like that. Never get to the last thing.

Don Rudolph
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: have you ever opened a can of worms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jerry,

I bought my Super 400 off Ebay. The previous owner said, "It's a little rough." He wasn't joking. It had to be towed to start and ran on 2 cylinders. There were gallons of diesel fuel in the pan. The bearings were shot, the rings were shot, the injectors were shot, the clutch was shot, the pressure plate was shot, the generator was shot, the fuel tank leaked, the radiator leaked, the heads and injection pump needed to be redone and the water pump leaked. But the lights worked. Don

kenbob
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: have you ever opened a can of worms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Love those ads for cars or old tractors. Runs great, needs battery, could use a tune up.

VAC400
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: have you ever opened a can of worms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don, you never know what is under the paint or should I say the add. After you get all done I hope you will enjoy the work you have done, but most important the 400.

wilson ind
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: have you ever opened a can of worms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

did not know you could buy worms in a can LOL

CaseyCub
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: have you ever opened a can of worms Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, yes you can, and not just for fishing! I bought a Cub Cadet that looked on the outside like it just needed a good cleaning, a couple small parts, and a battery. Then bought an engine, starter/generator, now I have to rewire the whole thing from scratch. The rear end had to be taken off, drained, cleaned, and have the shifter knocked back into place and the brakes freed up. That 200 dollar tractor has cost me almost 300 in parts so far, and is still in pieces on my shop floor.
Then there's a pair of Case VAOs that I got running and now neither of them want to go. I keep chasing the gremlins from the electrical to the carbs to the transmissions to the hydraulics!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters