Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

chicken poop for hay field

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MSS3020
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: chicken poop for hay field Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I live couple miles from egg/chicken place... they hire a guy that spreads poo for them..

Thinking of using on pasture where horses are and hay field..heard it is excellent fertilizer..

Any comments about this.. How long would I have to keep horses contained before letting out on treated field??

Scott

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: chicken poop for hay field Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chicken manure tend to be hot so this time of year is the best time to put it on so rain and snow make it sock into the ground. I do that to my garden this time of year when I clean out the chicken houses

Destroked 450
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: chicken poop for hay field Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can't really say about horses but I normally try to keep cows off of fields for 4-5 days, it isn't know to cause cows harm but they are known to eat some of the bigger chunks.
As for hay fields I hope you have good hay equipment, I have broiler houses and have been using chicken litter for over 12 years with out purchasing hardly any chemical fertilizer.
Putting 2-3 ton of litter per acre increased my hay yields 50% or more, when using chemical fertilizer my yields averaged 4 1/2 to 5 4x5 rolls per acre, now I'll average 7-8+ 4x5 rolls.
The most important thing is to have soil test done and adjust the amount spread according to test results, continued use at high application rates can cause nutrient levels to become to high thus locking the ground up which is worse than having poor ground, for that reason soil test are very important.
Chicken litter is some hot stuff, our's test out to were 1 ton is equal to 400lbs of triple 10 or 200 lbs of triple 19, that means spreading 3 ton of chicken litter per acre is about the same as applying 600lbs of triple 19 fertilizer per acre, that'll make the grass jump.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: chicken poop for hay field Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw it done one spring. Guy pulled a tank trailer with a slinger on it. What a mess and stunk to high heaven driving by for a couple of weeks. Results were awesome. No idea as to the stocking rules.

Secret Squirrel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: chicken poop for hay field Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a neighbor that used it. He said it worked great, but a regular sicle mower would not cut it. It took a disc mower.

ESVADuke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: chicken poop for hay field Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it tends to be higher in P than N, but also adds lots of micronutrients. Just watch the P build up with repeated use.

MJMJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: chicken poop for hay field Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Neighborhood will be cussing you for a while, but man does it grow hay.

Tim in New York
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: chicken poop for hay field Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Chicken farmer I worked for as a kid had capacity for 16,000 birds in 3 barns, and one 15 acre field to spread the manure on. He raised broilers - 11 weeks from chick to shipping, He always planted and picked the corn field with a 1 row NI picker and Massey 150. Some years the corn would be 12' tall at least. Imagine it would have similar impact on just about anything you planted.

Tim

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: chicken poop for hay field Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was wondering myself, you really didnt get an answer.

Saw a few reports mentioning horses that suggest 3 weeks for horse grazing, they were kinda being ultra cautious in case the poultry litter is very fresh and has some issues (lots of un used feed and dead bird parts in it).

Probably a week with a rain will be good enough if its good clean litter but that is usually for cattle, there isnt as much info for horses.

I think if you want the litter to do much good, letting that pasture rest and grow for three weeks and the grasses will put down better roots and become healthier plants, and the fertility will do you a lot more good. If the horses are right back grazing shortly after it was spread, the grazed grass wont get a chance to get stronger and use the nutrients to become a better plant. So, three weeks might be a good idea any which way.

Paul

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters