Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David R Inman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there a serial number plate on the front end? I belive all the speed patrols had a plate in addition to the tractor number on the rear axel, and there are charts for that just like for
the rear end. My dad has one, his rear axel is a '40, and the patrol a '41. So ether it was swapped at some point for a spare, or AC just use a
slightly older tractor.
Untitled URL Link

203 Industrial
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-David R Inman wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:24:33 03/04/21) Is there a serial number plate on the front end? I belive all the speed patrols had a plate in addition to the tractor number on the rear axel, and there are charts for that just like for
the rear end. My dad has one, his rear axel is a '40, and the patrol a '41. So ether it was swapped at some point for a spare, or AC just use a
slightly older tractor.
Untitled URL Link

Yes there is a tag on the right side of the front end
1E-160
That puts it at 1940 but its an un-styled tractor and the numbers stamped on the rear end date it earlier. I find some conflicting information on when these tractors were made. 1940 was not when the first Speed patrol was made. (old) has a 1938 and mine is pre 1940.
1940 is when the started using different serial number format.

Its not real important to me when it was made accept to order the correct owners and parts manuals.

Mine does not have the other tag farther back on the side frame like the regular W.C models.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The one I have is a 1947. When I got it, it had a WD45 engine in it. I latter found a WD with a very good engine and put it in. The WD45 engine had zero oil pressure and I ran it for 2 or 3 years that way.

203 Industrial
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:37:36 03/05/21) The one I have is a 1947. When I got it, it had a WD45 engine in it. I latter found a WD with a very good engine and put it in. The WD45 engine had zero oil pressure and I ran it for 2 or 3 years that way.

Old
It sounds like you get regular use from speed control. I had a MF 44 that ran sext to 0 oil pressure. I was always on the edge of the seat listening for banging rods. It lasted until I sold it.

It looks like the last un-styled WC was serial number WC 74330
Mine is serial number WC 74311. So after mine only 19 un-styled were made. The newer sheet metal was at the other end of the production line.
I would like to find some un-styled rear fenders but they seem to be scarce.

Is your tractor hand crank only? Mine is, That's ok , Ill get use to that.
I found a steering box at the place I bought the tractor. They have one that's stripped down to the nub but still has the steering box. They threw it in with the purchase. Also a pair of tire chains that were laying by the tires.

I live on a private road with 15 homes that I maintain. About 1.5 miles. The rear blade works pretty good but the longer wheel base of the speed patrol and the blade under the belly will help.
Rear blades tend to follow dips in the road even with draft control.
I have one of those Hammond 2 blade scrappers that works pretty well for finish work but wont cut much and wont clean ditches very well.
In the photo you can see a crack in the steering box casting. They must have hit something with a front wheel or the tires froze in the dirt and a big armed man twisted the steering wheel trying to brake it loose. There is a lot of leverage there not intended to do that

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1947 W Speed Patrol is electric start. My driveway is a mile long and I am pretty the only person who does anything to it. I need to fix a flat front tire in the near future. Yes back blades are okay but hands down the belly blade if by fa better. I have a WC parts tractor so when I need a part I stand a good chance I have it

203 Industrial
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:55:48 03/07/21) My 1947 W Speed Patrol is electric start. My driveway is a mile long and I am pretty the only person who does anything to it. I need to fix a flat front tire in the near future. Yes back blades are okay but hands down the belly blade if by fa better. I have a WC parts tractor so when I need a part I stand a good chance I have it

Thanks for the heads up on the parts tractor.
It will be about a week before I get it home.
Im going to remove the blade. That wont go over the top of the ramps and may not adjust enough for width

I was thinking yours was 37 not 47. I need caterac surgery.. Very Happy

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The one time I took mine to a tractor show I turned he blade as far as I could and got it on my trailer. But it was a tight fit.

Burl C
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob, have you figured out suitable replacement springs? Pretty much finishing mine up. Old gave me measurements for the springs, but I've not yet found some to match. Gonna start looking at garage door springs next.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would the A/C part number help or do you have it already?? Don't think a garage door spring will be heavy enough

Eldon (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Eldon (WA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:49:13 03/02/21) The one I have was one of eleven units once owned by Spokane county in Washington state. This one was modified with full hydraulics and power steering....it is for sale.

SOLD!

Burl C
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-old wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:56:58 04/14/21) Would the A/C part number help or do you have it already?? Don't think a garage door spring will be heavy enough

I've got the part number, no one I've contacted has it. Have the measurements you sent me, might have to have one made?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Allis Chalmers Speed Patrol Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Having one made would be costly at best. But yes can be hard to find a part for something they have not made in decades. Maybe find apart machine some place and rob the spring off of it

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters